We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day trip to Utah's national parks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
4 day trip to Utah's national parks

Hi

I have been through various travel tips/ideas/itineraries suggested in this forum. I am planning to visit Utah's parks next long weekend. from 2nd to 7th morning flying out of vegas. I was originally planning to do Zion, Bryce, Arches, drive through Monument Valley to Page & visit Antelope canyons before reaching vegas on 6th evening. I think this might be a little hectic - so is it a better idea to drop Arches and go to monument valley directly from bryce?

Thnks!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

I suggest to only visit Bryce, Zion and Page and maybe Monument Valley if you can find a place to stay. Las Vegas to MV already is an 7 hours drive. Bryce to MV is 5 hours through Page. No time for Arches imo.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,509 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

Good advice. For sure no time for Arches. Stick with two nights in Zion, one in Bryce, one or two in Page.

Have fun.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

You say 4 days, but I count maybe 4 1/2? Will you have any time on the 2nd?

Anyway, Moab, being furthest away really is the most logical to eliminate allowing you time to do more than drive the whole time.

I probably wouldn't even do Monument Valley, just Zion, Bryce and either North Rim or Page or a loop including Capitol Reef (that way you'd get hwy 12).

Edited: 05 June 2014, 04:45
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

Trying to fit it all on one trip is very difficult. I did it one time chasing a full moon...on a trip I did one night monument valley, next night arches ( delicate arch at sunset) and the next night Bryce for moon rise right around sunset. I ve been to those places before.

For a 4 day trip from Vegas it's either Zion, bryce, and caipitol reef or age or north rim or you do grand canyon and either page or Sedona.

If you flew into SLC you could easily choose between 4 days Bryce and Zion or Moab.

Day 1 am drive to Zion, all day Zion

Day 2 most of day Zion, around 4pm drive to Bryce for sunset

Day 3 Bryce for nost of day, drive UT 12 to boulder or Torrey in late afternoon

Day 4 Capitol reef then drive back to Vegas

Day 1 am drive to Bryce, pm Bryce

Day 2 sunrise in Bryce then drive to Page ..PM page

Day 3 am page, drive to Zion, PM in Zion

Day 4 all day Zion then drive back to Vegas around 6pm or so.

Day 1am drive to grand canyon...pm grand canyon

Day 2 all day grand canyon, evening drive to Page

Day 3 Page. All day..evening drive to flagstaff

Day 4 Sedona ...late afternoon drive back to Vegas

Day 1 am drive to Page through Utah, pm page

Day 2 am page, pm monument valley

Day 3 am monument valley, pm south rim

Day 4 most of day south rim, late afternoon drive to vegas

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

Thanks a ton for the replies!. It confirms my assumption that doing a fast big loop isnot a good idea.

I have only 4 days - July 2nd night reaching Vegas Airport and leaving on July 7th morning. We are planning to drive over to Hurricane,UT on 2nd night itself, so we can leave early next morning to Zion.

I have long wanted to checkout Antelope Canyon/ Monument Valley and thought Page is a good place to stay for that. Have been to Zion for 3 days before (hubby never). I really liked Zion, so wanted to go there again. Have been to Grand Canyon before, but hubby wants to hike down and back up next time we go there. I am completely okay with just doing short hikes (< 5 miles) this time around esp with hot weather.

This was my original plan -

July 2nd - Drive to Hurricane, UT

Stay at Hurricane, UT

July 3rd - Checkout before Sunrise. Catch sunrise at Zion. Do Angels landing in the morning, lunch, Zion Narrows, Big bend.

Stay at Springdale. (or somewhere near bryce)

July 4th - catch sunrise at Bryce. Drive thru scenic points. Do Navajo trail. Lunch. Leave for Moab. (Moab thru capital reef or bigger highways?)

Stay at Moab, UT

July 5th - catch sunrise at Delicate Arch, Arches National Park. Do Arches scenic drive. Lunch. Leave for Page through monument valley

Stay at Page, Az

July 6th - Antelope Canyon. Drive to Vegas for the night.

July 7th - morning flight back home.

Alternate one I had in mind -

july 2nd - drive to hurricane, UT

stay at hurricane

July 3rd - Zion

stay at spring dale/zion if we can find lodging inside

July 4th - Zion morning. Lunch. Bryce at sunset.

stay at bryce

July 5th - More Bryce. Drive to Page thru Monument Valley.

stay at page

July 6th - Antelope canyon. Drive to vegas

stay at vegas

Tet14, Kbecjeans, TumbleweedandCactus & Dan - Thanks again!! I will re-plan based on your thoughts. will do arches, canyonlands etc on a different trip, may be from SLC. :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

Las vegas to Hurricane app is 2.5 hours door to door and you'll lose one hour for timedifference. Less than 30 minutes between Hurricane and Springdale. You also hace to app count 1 hour for the renta pick up.

Morning for Bryce then drive to Monument Valley (that's already through Page) and drive back to Page??? That's a bad idea. We're talking an 8 hours drive now without the visit to MV. And you should not drive in the dark out there.

7. Re: 4 day trip to Utah's national parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:15