We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

My husband and I are planning a trip in late October to see some of the national parks in southern Utah. We will have approximately 7 – 10 days. I know we would like to see Zion, Bryce and Moab. I would greatly appreciate some help with our itinerary. Is flying in and out of Vegas the best way to go? We enjoy easy hikes and beautiful scenery. Thank you!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

Welcome to the forum!

Either fly into Vegas or Salt Lake City. See who has better car and air rates.

Take a look at the top right Top Questions on the UT forums page. Gives examples of loop trips (both short and long) for trips out of Vegas or SLC.Here is an example.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28965-i411-k43263…

Also look at Ohio Hicks sticky at the top of the forums about Travelling the Grand Circle. Tons of info in those threads.

October can be a nice time to go.

2. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 19:19
PA
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

I suggest 10 days or as many as you can take & cover all 5 national parks in Utah. Take Route 12 ( between Bryce & Capitol Reef N.P.) It is a gorgeous, scenic drive. You can add Monuement Valley, Page & Grand Canyon for the 'Grand Loop' but with a max. of 10 days, that's a lot to cover & leaves little time for good hikes & time to savor the beauty of these magnificent parks!

Have a great trip - we loved our trip in May covering the 5 national parks.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

Thank you all for the suggestions and resources. I'd never thought to check you tube for the drives and hikes -- we'll definitely check those out. We won't be able to take more than 10 days and we've been to the Grand Canyon previously. This trip was specifically aimed for the best of southern Utah national parks, and while I don't want to be spread too thin, I want to see the best of what we can. What would be on your MUST SEE/CAN'T MISS list of recommendations? Thanks again!

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,108 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

Must Sees will differ from person to person among the contributors. But I know your original list will be the best picks, so plan on seeing Zion/Springdale, Bryce NP, and Moab/Canyonlands/Arches. As a rough guideline, spend three nights in Moab, two-three nights in Springdale, and one night at Bryce. Travelling from Bryce to Moab means that you should travel through Capitol Reef /Torrey via SR 12 and SR 24. Plan on spending a night in Torrey as well. Page/Lake Powell and Monument Valley do not rank too high in my list of must sees. With ten days however, you can include these two destinations in your loop. Some will suggest a night in Monument Valley, but I would consider a night at MV optional. Plan on a night, maybe two, in /at Page/Lake Powell.

6. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 14:29
7. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 13:35
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

For 10 days in southern Utah......

First move the travel time to late September/early October.

Day 1 fly into SLC ( arrive early afternoon) drive to Moab

Day 2-4 Moab

Day 5 gobblin valley SP, Capitol reef, night Torrey

Day 6 UT 12, Bryce evening

Day 7 Bryce am, drive to Springdale , pm Zion

Day 8 Zion

Day 9 Zion am/ early PM then drive to SLC

Day 10 fly home

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,658 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

Late October can be beautiful in the south as the leaves there will be the last to turn. 10 days is minimal time but will work. Either SLC or Las Vegas will work as entry cities with only an hour or so difference overall driving time. Chose the one with the best flight options.

Ditto the look at the Top Questions and Ohio's Travel article for lots of practical advice. A read through some of the trip reports is helpful as well as you read what others have done in their time frame.

Consider that 10 days will give you 2 days each in the 5 national parks, but Canyonlands and Bryce may not need that and there is so much more to see, plus you do need to account for travel time. Figure out a possible itinerary and we'd be glad to share our opinions about it.

10. Re: Help with Southern Utah National Parks itinerary

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 07:16