We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In what order?

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
In what order?

Hello All,

I will be in Las Vegas on August 17th -22nd. My niece has a wedding to attend at 10 am and the rest of us are going to venture out and about but still stay close to Vegas so we can come back and get my niece after the wedding.

Monday - Red Rock, Hoover Dam, Valley of Fire

Tuesday - Grand Canyon back to Vegas

Wednesday - Death Valley back to Vegas

Thursday - Zion and Bryce back to Vegas

We are trying to squeeze as much as possible and I dont mind the driving and we can even spend a night in between if that would be better than returning to Vegas. Any suggestions out there to make this better?

Thanks in advance.....

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In what order?

Most of this will not be very enjoyable. Resist your urge to see everything. Grand Canyon and back in a day by car is do-able but your memory will likely be the 10-11 hours in the car. If you really want to drive up to the Utah parks, just do Bryce and not Zion. Bryce is only a touch shorter than the drive to Grand Canyon but you can at least take something away from there in the short visit. You can't really take away much from Zion in a short time. Save the drive and just be satisfied with Bryce.

You could easily accomplish all of this in a sensible fashion if you didn't come back to Vegas every night. Just build a loop trip. You will cut your mileage down by around 70% and actually have time to see something.

Good luck.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In what order?

IF you could get reservations at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, a nice trip might be Zion 1-2 days, Bryce 1 day and GCNR 1 day. All those places are 2-3+ hours from each other.Heading back to Vegas after day trips just adds way too much time and mileage.

Another option is GC south rim, Page, Bryce , Zion. It would be a really quick loop though, just touching on each park for a day.

I love Death Valley, but in August it is very hot, and you will probably just be driving by sites in your car, rather than venturing out on any walks. After seeing the red rocks of Utah, Red Rock and Valley of Fire might not be that impressive.I would drop those and do one of the previous AZ/UT combos/loops.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In what order?

If you can somehow manage to take a night away from your Las Vegas stay and stay somewhere in a GC-Zion-Bryce Loop, your planned trip will be much more enjoyable. With a loop itinerary spread over two days, you will not have to do much in the way of backtracking either. Good places to stay in a potential loop would be Kanab UT or Page AZ.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,426 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In what order?

If you can somehow manage to take a night away from your Las Vegas stay and stay somewhere in a GC-Zion-Bryce Loop, your planned trip will be much more enjoyable. With a loop itinerary spread over two days, you will not have to do much in the way of backtracking either. Good places to stay in a potential loop would be Kanab UT or Page AZ.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In what order?

Even a loop of Zion, Bryce and the North rim of the Grand canyon with only one overnight would be tough. It would certainly help if you could have two nights. You could head first to Zion, stay over night. Drive to Bryce then down to the North Rim (if you can get a room there), Then back to LV.

And I disagree with Tumbleweed that it is hard to see Zions in a short visit. A three hour visit would give you time to enjoy the shuttle ride, take a walk along the Riverside trail and enjoy the lawn at the Lodge.

So if you only had one night you could enjoy Zions on the way to Bryce. Stay over night at Bryce, then head back to LV.

Edited: 08 July 2014, 20:48
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In what order?

Agree. Need to do some sort of a loop.

South Rim one night.

Page or Kanab one night.

Bryce one night

Zion one night.

Or

Zion one or two nights

Bryce one night

North Rim one night.

You can go to Valley of Fire,Death Valley and Red Rock another trip.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In what order?

Thanks all, it has given me a lot to think about. I do not mind staying away from Vegas and it does seem as this is a better idea. I have a lot to plan so thank you for all the input.

Karen

8. Re: In what order?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 22:17