We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

San Diego
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

My girlfriend and I are planning a mid September 3-4 day weekend to Utah and wanted to do a day of white water rafting and maybe some kayaking as well if that's available in Utah? I know it is in Idaho and Wyoming but wasn't sure about Utah? We have never white water rafted so we're not looking for anything too crazy or advanced but definitely want to experience some speed and rapids. ..can anybody recommend some good rafting options in the area? We're flying into SLC and don't mind driving.

Thanks

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,772 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

There are two rivers in Utah where you'll have white water rafting. The Green and the Colorado. Each of these have various entry points. You can raft the Green out of either Vernal, or Green River UT. For the Colorado the white water portions are best out of Moab.

The Utah Travel council's website has some good beginning information: http://www.utah.com/raft/

I haven't had the chance yet to do any portions of the Green, though Split Mountain or Gates of Lodore keep calling me.

The best one day trip in Moab is Westwater,

The Fisher Towers run will have some smaller rapids as well. This could be done with kayaks also.

The best whitewater is Cataract canyon, and they do have one day trips, though I wouldn't recommend that.

Santa Ana, CA
Level Contributor
3,193 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

Here is the official website for the Moab, Utah visitor center: www.discovermoab.com

Go to the Activities tab and then drop-down menu to Guides & Outfitters.

Turn your computer sideways and find the column for rafting-whitewater.

Start calling on the phone to find which outfitter has Westwater Canyon permits for the day you want to go. Reserve early if you can. I've been with Adrift and Sheri Griffith.

There is some great kayaking on Lake Powell at the Utah/Arizona border and you can do this with a group. Do you want to know more about that?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,171 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

For a multi-day trip you could run Desolation/Grey Canyons on the Green or Cataract Canyon on the Colorado. Keep in mind that spring run-off is long over, so the water flows you'll get in September will be at the tail end of the season. It was a weak snowpack, in general, this year. Whitewater rafting is always a blast though and September will have great temps.

For a great day trip do Westwater Canyon on the Colorado. Nat. Geo. called it the west's best whitewater day trip.

4. Re: White water rafting/kayaking in Utah?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:16