We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

Dear Travelers, me and my fiancee is planning a trip to the Grand Circle during November 21 - December 6. This has been my all time dream-trip (Yosemite next!!), been talking about it with my fiancee for years....lol

Well...after the yellowstone trip 3 yrs ago, I figured we are not a very good hiker...and realized lots of the park and trails in grand circle are quite challenging...(coyote buttes)..also this trip is during winter time...so..we really need some "itinerary prove read" and advice please......and...here is the plan....

#Nov 21-23

Flying from NYC to Las Vegas

(will renting a full size SUV ok? or not tough enough?)

-Hoover Dam

-Staying at Grand Canyon (South Rim)

Bright Angel Lodge (2 Nights)

- South Kaibab Trail

- hmm...pretty much any trail we are capable with...

#Nov 23-25

Page (2 Nights)

- Antelope Lower Canyon (upper/lower) hopefully both tour

- Horseshoe Bend

#Nov 25-27

Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park

Staying at the View Hotel (2 Nights)

-some Trails? or just join the tour?

-hopefully get some sky/stars photos

- CanyonLand NP

#Nov 27-29

Moab (2 Nights)

- Arches NP

- Dead Horse Point SP

- Goblin Valley State Park

#Nov 29-Dec 1

Torrey (2 Nights)

Capitol Reef

-Cassidy Arch

-Capitol Gorge Trail

-Burr Trail (hmmm.....i don't know...)

#Dec 1-3

Bryce Canyon

Cannonville

Grand Staircase Inn (2 Nights)

**was gonna go to coyote buttes, white pocket....but....i doubt we could make it lol

#Dec 3-5

Zion (2 Nights)

-Lower Pine Creek Waterfall

-really really wanna go to the Narrow...but....should we?

-(Still searching)

-yant flat

#Dec 5-6

Las Vegas (1 Nights) and back to work =(

would really really appreciate your thoughts/suggestion. super thanks =)

ps. will there any possibility we could encounter any wildlife during this trip? hmm..we love animals..hahaha

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,202 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

Welcome to the forum. A few thoughts. First, I would reverse your order. As noted, this is winter. You'll be more weather impacted at Bryce (high elevation) and Moab (further north). If you reverse your order, you'll hit them first.

You probably know this, but Goblin Valley isn't near Moab but it is between Moab and Torrey. Do it on your transit day. You'll also benefit from another night in Moab. You can do with just one at Monument Valley. At Bryce, I would highly recommend staying at one of the Best Westerns right at the gate. Sunrise is THE best time to see Bryce. If you stay a distance away, it will greatly diminish your visit. I don't see a real benefit in staying in Cannonville that time of year. You also can do with just one night there if you want to put it elsewhere.

Rest is OK. You'll find sparse crowds and good prices. You'll also find somewhat less activities, especially at places like Bryce and Moab. In general, you have a decent chance of not seeing snow but you could. For sure you'll see cool temps. Be prepared with layers and for freezing or near freezing temps at night. Other than The View, you should be able to easily get and change reservations.

Have fun.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,211 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

You could drop one night at Monument Valley and add it to Moab.

Cannonvile is a long way from Bryce. Choose Rubys Inn. You want to be in the park for sunset and sunrise and you don't want to drive far in the dark.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

You do realize it is cold there in November And December. The grand canyon high will probably be in the low 30s Zion and Bryce not much better.

You will likely see snow during this. The hikes with wind will be cold.

I understand you make think Phoenix is nice then but they are at a lower elevation. Northern part of the state will be winter wether.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

Thank you all so much TumbleweedandCactus, RedRox and Dan P for advice. Reversing the order does make lots of sense (surely will bring more clothes), going to rewrite my plan.....And yes, thanks for the tips on hotel choices at Bryce, so most of you will choose Ruby inn over....Best Western Plus?

2 nights at Broken spur Inn for Torrey for Captiol Reef and 2 nights at Bumbleberry inn at Springdale for Zion, sounds right?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,505 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

Rubys owns three hotels in the same general area.The Best Western Grand is one of them. Its the newest and nicest.

You are travelling in a time that is off season. You should be able to get very good rates at hotels, that are a fraction of summer prices.Springdale has some very nice hotels.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

I'd prefer BW Grand to Rubys Inn esp that time of year. It has interior corridors and a nice lobby with an open fire. Rubys Inn is more motel like.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

thank you all for the great tips and advises. trying to fine detailing my plan, hopefully everything will work out.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,827 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

the Rubys inn is a motel like place, Rubys also has a separate caping/RV park behind the motel.while across the street is a newer BW with interior hallways.

I have stayed at Rubys numerous times but not at the new best western---part of the reason is the Rubys Inn is 16,000 points while the new one I think is 24,000 points for a stay. Another reason is because Rubys has a decent size laundry facility. When Im on a 10 day trip I plan on doing laundry.

New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

during my trip in the end of nov-dec, will it be a very bad idea to visit the narrows? do we need a tour guide? since we will stay 2 night in Zion, what else will be the best to do? and before Zion, would you rather visit Valley of fire state park? or yant flat?? is Moki Dugway worth going? Thanks!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,869 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nov 21 - Dec 6 Grand Circle 15 Days

The whole reason Zion Adventures Company was formed was to provide year round access to the Narrows. They provide dry suits, dry bags, boots, socks, walking sticks and information. The air and water would be cold, but the equipment will allow you to still take advantage of your time there..

There is no reason to take a tour guide, as the trail is very obvious, just follow the river.