We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

Tarrytown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

My husband and I are spending three nights at the Windam in S. VT, and now we need to find a place for three nights in another part of VT. We are traveling in June, 2007.

We are looking for someplace very scenic with upscale comfort. We love to drive around and look at scenery, visit quaint towns, hike, see waterfalls and mountains and enjoy natural beauty.

Any advice on the best area(s) to investigate would be greatly appreciated, along with any recommendations on places to stay. In addition, if you know of any cheese-making facilities where we can taste fresh VT cheese, that would be great, too.

Thanks so much!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

The Windham Hill is part of the Select Registry groups of distinguished lodging establishments. Perhaps you could check out thier website for similar luxury properties in VT.

http://www.selectregistry.com

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

Try the Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford. It sits on the CT River (NH border), so you could explore the White Mountains in NH and the Northeast Kingdom in Vermont.

The Inn is very nice, gets numerous awards etc. If you end up there and want specifics on where to visit once there, please post back. I grew up in the area.

Vermont
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

If you stay in the Lower Waterford area you are also not too far from the Cabot Cheese Factory. There are quite a few cheesemakers in Vermont. To find out more and plan your route I would suggest that you visit the Vermont Cheese Trail Website at www.vtcheese.com/vtcheese/charliestory.htm

Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

Hello

You might try the RT 4 corridor east - west. Quechee is a charming small town and so is Woodstock . There are many places to stay but our favorite is the Parker House Inn in Quechee on the banks of the river and dinner there and at Simon Pearce acorss the street.

Tarrytown, New York
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I will look into these options. I am really looking forward to my trip! It's going to be beautiful and so relaxing (which is what we need!).

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

Hi Funseeker,

Do check out Woodstock at www.woodstockvt.com.

The village has a national park you can walk to from the centre (the only one in the whole US that is so close to a village centre) lots of gift shops, galleries and award winning restaurants. You can find some award winning B & B's and upscale Inns some which will surprise your senses. Not everything in Vermont is floral and pink!

Route 100 south or north is a beautiful drive and if you are into walking then the Appalachian trail is very close to the village.

Sugarbush Farms outside of the village is a wonderful working farm who makes cheese & maple syrup.

Do check out www.boston.com for reviews of lodging, restaurants and things to do in all of New England.

Most importantly come hungry and with energy!

7. Re: 3 days in S VT, now need place for 3 days in other part

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 19:16