We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall trip by the seat of your pants?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
203 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Fall trip by the seat of your pants?

Is this possible? Just returned from Maui and have decided we would like to do something totally different - fall 2008. Can you get motel rooms/ rental cars without reservations during the Fall? Or is everything booked to capacity during these times? We can fly on airline passes so dates could be flexible.

Thanks and please don't laugh me off the planet if the answer is a resounding No Way!

Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall trip by the seat of your pants?

During the week you should be OK. Weekends - I wouldnt chance it, especially if you are here Columbus Day weekend. Places do get booked up months in advance. I'd book the rental car ahead of time as well.

I do know that there are some innkeepers who frequent this board, so hopefully they can fill you in on the accommodation situation in more detail than I can!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall trip by the seat of your pants?

HI - we own a B&B and often take bookings a year in advance for fall weekends. Whilst it is not impossible to find accommodation - and most innkeepers that don't have availability will usually ring round to help find you a room - be aware that the "nice" places fill up first - the accommodation still available at the last minute is usually still available during this busy period for a reason (if you get my drift!) Occassionally you can get lucky and find a great place with last minute cancellations - but these are few and far between. If you do "wing it" then I suggest you start looking for your room at 3.00pm each day - the later in the day the fewer rooms available. Check out Chambers of commerce as they normally have lists of lodging properties with rooms still available, I have known people sleep in cars in Chester over Columbus weekend as there are no rooms available within 30-40 miles!

3. Re: Fall trip by the seat of your pants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 00:17