We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

A friend & I will be driving an RV from NC to Winhall, VT for a wedding in early-mid August. We hope to be in Southern VT by mid-afternoon on Friday with the wedding being on Saturday. Friday afternoon, Sunday & Monday we'll be free to explore more of Vermont (or another state).

I am hoping to get some advice on where to stay (we'll need campgrounds with full hookups in the Winhall area on Friday & probably Saturday), but then free to move elsewhere for Sunday & Monday nights.

This will be our first trip to the area & are very much interested in outdoor photography & semi-easy hikes. I have viewed many great posts on this website but most seem to be about Northern VT & the Lake Champlain area. What's beautiful in the Southern half? Should we stay in VT on Sunday & travel to another state on Monday? If so, what's better for scenic beauty - Mass or Conn?

Please keep in mind that we will need to be back in NC by Tuesday evening so going further north may not be the best option on this visit.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

In southern Vermont - go to Weston and visit the Vermont Country Store. Manchester, nearby to Stratton, is an outlet shopping mecca. Go over to Bromley Mountain Ski Area and check out the view.

Try the Vermont State Parks for camping - Townshend State Park would be convenient to Stratton. www.vtstateparks.com For the next few days you could try Woodford State Park near Bennington.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

The state parks are close to your wedding site, but I don't believe they provide hook-ups. You could try the Dorset RV Park http://www.dorsetrvpark.com/ which is about 15 minutes outside of Winhall and close to Manchester for shopping. But even better for you it is very close to the Merck Forest http://www.merckforest.org/ for your enjoyment of hiking and nature photos.

You might also want to give the Winhall Brook Campground a try, you can reach them at 802-824-4570.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

Good point about the state parks. We tent, so would not be aware of hook ups.

Also try "Camping on the Battenkill" in Arlington.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

Thanks everyone for your great advice! I'll post a review when we return :-)

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

Hi Sue, Windhall is about an hour North of North Adams MA.

North Adams is on the historic Mohawk Trail and has a few points of interest on it.

www.berkshireweb.com/mohawktrail/home.html

On note MASSMoca the museum of Modern Art

http://www.massmoca.org/

Also in the area is It also features Mount Greylock which is the tallest Mountain in MA.

berkshirehiking.com/hikes/mt_greylock.html

There is a lot of great hiking in and around this area.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

How to get to Greylock Mountain since the road is under construction and closed until 2009? At least this is what I read and heard.

We just returned from the east south part of Vermont. There is a lot, I mean a LOT to do. Clark Museum in Williamstown, MA has a large and fantastic Monet exhibition. If you want to see covered bridges there are many in the area. In Bennigton the Cover Bridge Museum is worthy to spend some time. Grandma Moses many paintings are in Bennington Museum. Shaker Village near Hancock, MA is an all day visit. Hiking ion Appalachian Trail, Long Trail may be surprisingly challenging on some sections. There is so much more. If you stay around Bennington, VT or Willimastown, MA then you can visit three states within 1 hour or so.

7. Re: Southern Vermont / Mass. / Conn. ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Vermont