We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester NH to West Townshend

California
8 posts
Save Topic
Manchester NH to West Townshend

We will be flying into Manchester on 10/17 and driving to West Townshend (Windham Inn) on the 18th. Any ideas of great restaurants and shops for trip? I know we are a bit late to enjoy the Fall colors, but we don't have "Fall" in California so we are looking forward to it! Any ideas once we get into West Townshend would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

I would drive west on Rt 101 and stop in the Keene area, this is a nice town/city with lots of good restaurants, nice shopping, hiking or gently walks, apple orchards, covered bridges and there may still be some color in the southern part of the state.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

Brattleboro may be a more fun, funkier option than Keene. I personally think Keene's downtown has gotten a bit seedy and neglected, though there are some nice restaurants there.

Brattleboro isn't perfect, either, but its downtown is a bit more prosperous than Keene's. My favorite Brattleboro restaurant is the River View Cafe, which has excellent fresh, local food, and a spectacular view of the Connecticut River.

http://www.riverviewcafe.com/

Mentioned in this post
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

If you take Rt. 101 from Manchester to Keene (definitely the preferred route), once in Keene take Rt. 9 directly to Brattleboro, another 15 miles or so.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

Hopefully this won't turn into a turf war, but when we ate at River Cafe it was less than good. Keene is known for its wide Main St with big white church at the head of the square, very pretty. Although it does not compete with the naked boys of Brattleboro.

Mentioned in this post
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

No turf war from me. I graduated from Keene High School long, long ago, and my father worked in the long-gone A&P supermarkets in both Keene and Brattleboro, so I know the area quite well. I'm sorry to hear the River View wasn't great, but hey, it's been 6 months since I last ate there. Maybe it was a bad night, or maybe the place has gone downhill.

Both towns, to be honest, have serious problems with drugs, and Keene's main street has seen much better days. The seedy fly-by-night storefronts that once housed Woolworth's and other similar businesses in the 50s, 60s and 70s are a blight on the otherwise-pretty downtown. The Melody Shop and Simon's, The Store of Fine Diamonds are both long gone, now just a bland insurance company. Thankfully they have preserved and restored the art deco theater, and turned it into a haven for live performances again. And Lindy's Diner is still a great place for a simple meal. If only the nearby underground pool hall where I mis-spent part of my youth was still there, LOL!

Downtown Brattleboro has its absurdities, such as the naked high school students you reference (boys AND girls....where are their parents?!?), but even absurdities like that aren't really on Main Street, just a parking lot hidden away where the old Grand Union once was. But the Latchis Theater is a spectacular art deco gem, and the downtown shopping is more varied and more prosperous than Keene's. Brattleboro has that 60s/hippie vibe, which is definitely not to everyone's liking, so the visitor should be forewarned.

FWIW...

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Manchester NH to West Townshend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:19
Get answers to your questions about Vermont