We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

My husband and I are arriving in Vermont on the 5th and then we are heading to NH on the 10th While in Vermont we are staying at the Hob Knob Inn in Stowe. We are looking for suggestions to make the most of our trip. We love back roads, covered bridges, hikes, small towns, farms, etc.... During our stay we are hoping to cover a lot of ground so we don't mind driving. Thanks!!!!

Taftsville Covered Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Silk Road Covered Bridge
Creamery Covered Bridge
Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
35 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

You picked the best time. There's a beautiful hike that starts right behind the church (forgot the name but it's bright white) in Stowe along the river, you actually cross the river about 14 times. For more hiking around Stowe, check out this site: http://www.gostowe.com/sports/hiking.php

I personally like to go hiking at Hazen's Notch. If you're interested in farms, Applecheek Farms offers farm tours, we did one earlier this year, very neat to see a small, organic farm at work. The people are super nice as well.

We're also planning a visit to one of the corn mazes next week, I picked this one: http://www.vermontcornmaze.com/ so I'll report back at that point.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Thank you! We are so excited about our trip. We will make sure we check out the hike you suggested. Thanks!

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Thank you for the website! We are definately going to plan a canoe trip.

Stratham, NH
Level Contributor
77 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

If you want to experience a wild drive. continue up from Stowe on Rte 108 through Smuggler's Notch. Unbelievable road and the "notch of notches" in N.E. A couple of nice hikes on the top of the notch. The real VT starts on the other side in Jeffersonville. You can just make a loop and take some of the little side roads. Lots of back roads, small towns and farms up there. And there is the long trail the crosses near Johnson. Follow Rte 15 East and then take 100 South back into Stowe. An easy drive.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Thanks for the post. The drive you mentioned sounds amazing. That's what we're looking for!!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

The drive through Smuggler's Notch is truly amazing.

Be advised that the road is EXTREMELY narrow at the top of the Notch. Vehicles like RVs are banned from using the Notch as a result, it's simply too narrow to make it through. If you have a very oversize vehicle (such as very large pickup truck, a huge SUV, etc.) you may want to think twice about using the Notch road. It can be doable, I guess, with such vehicles, but I wouldn't want to try it.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Someone tried to get through there with a tractor-trailer a few weeks ago. Needless to say, he got stuck. Heed the advice of signofthetimes and the many road signs as you approach - don't take big vehicles up there!

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Thank you for the caution. We are renting a Chrysler Pacifica. It's a mid size SUV. Do you think it will be ok? (I hope so)!!!

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

The Pacifica will be fine. Have a great time!!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall Vacation October 5th - 10th

Nice 1.1 mile hike from the parking area at the top of the Notch Road, up to Sterling Pond.

Go past the pond when up there and look out over Smuggler's Notch Ski Area and great view.

Just went two weeks ago and you could see for miles!

Get answers to your questions about Vermont