We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

My boyfriend and I are planning a small VT trip on October 14, probably driving up through Brattleboro on I-91, then going up to Burlington on 89 (we'll probably take rt 100 at some point, since I've heard it's so nice!), and then coming back down on Rt 7 through Bennington. It's our first VT trip and we're only spending 3 nights, so I'm not sure if it's a good plan. We'll probably spending a night at Perkinsville, then Burlington and then Shaftsbury. Does anyone have any recommendations, of any kind (like towns or certain attractions)? We're willing to adjust our itinerary, we just want to see the best of Vermont.

Also, can anyone recommend any casual hikes along the way? I'm a big fan of mountain views. :)

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

The day you are coming into the Shaftsbury area, try to plan a stop in Manchester,VT. Well more corectly in Winhall,VT on Bromley Mountain. As you go up the mountain on Routes 11/30 [to the east] on the left side of the road you'll see a pull off with trail markers. This is part of the Long Trail and a short easy hike to the top of Bromley, with wonderful views across the valley toward Stratton Mountain.

If you let me know where your staying in Shaftsbury I can give you some ideas of a couple of great walks in that town, and some other things to do.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

Assuming you take Route 7 south from Burlington to Shaftsbury, stop at Mount Philo State Park, about 20 minutes south of Burlington. You can hike up the hiking trail, or the auto road (it's closed for the season). It's a very quick hike and the views are amazing (the Champlain Valley, Lake Champlain, and the Adirondacks). Afterwards, take a detour on 22A one mile to Vergennes and have lunch at 3 Squares Cafe. Then get back on Route 7 south to Middlebury. I would suggest taking Route 30 from Middlebury to Manchester - much more scenic than Route 7 IMO. Have fun!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

Weathersfield trail not far from Perkinsville. Also you can hike up Ascutney or the Healdville trail up Okemo (ludlow) All afford wonderful views. I assume you staying at the Weathersfield Inn in Perkinsville? They will have information on local hikes and will be able to help with directions so you can work up and appetite to enjoy their fabulous restaurant!

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

Thank you so much for your replies!

We're art students on a budget, so we're just staying at the Serenity Motel in Shaftsbury, and some bed and breakfast in Perkinsville that is being redone for a discount rate (through a friend of a friend).

Just another question, is Mount Philo State Park closed after October 15? that's what the website said, but it seems awfully early.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

It is closed, but you can still access it. Just park in the lot and hike. During the season you can drive up and camp at the top.

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

I just did a few hikes in sourhter and norther Vermont this past weekend.

As one previous poster pointed out, in the Manchester area Bromley Mtn (from rt 11/30) is an easy 3 hr hike to the top of a ski run with observation tower. If pressed for time, across the street from the Bromley trail head, there is a trail to Spruce peak which is only about 2-2.5 hrs hike.

If you are going to Burlington area, the best hike is Mt. Mansfield (the highest peak in VT) which is about 30 min east of Burlington. The Sunset Ridge trail head starts at Underhill State Park. The view is simply amazing from beginning to end. This has to be one of the best hikes I had in years. However, it is rather hard, planning 4-5 hrs depending on your physical conditions and how much time you plan to stay at the top (which has a ridge trail with panoramic view of the whole area). To be safe you should allow 5-6 hrs and start early. The terrain is rough so you should wear hiking boots.

delaware
Level Contributor
178 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

I just did a few hikes in sourhter and norther Vermont this past weekend.

As one previous poster pointed out, in the Manchester area Bromley Mtn (from rt 11/30) is an easy 3 hr hike to the top of a ski run with observation tower. If pressed for time, across the street from the Bromley trail head, there is a trail to Spruce peak which is only about 2-2.5 hrs hike.

If you are going to Burlington area, the best hike is Mt. Mansfield (the highest peak in VT) which is about 30 min east of Burlington. The Sunset Ridge trail head starts at Underhill State Park. The view is simply amazing from beginning to end. This has to be one of the best hikes I had in years. However, it is rather hard, planning 4-5 hrs depending on your physical conditions and how much time you plan to stay at the top (which has a ridge trail with panoramic view of the whole area). To be safe you should allow 5-6 hrs and start early. The terrain is rough so you should wear hiking boots.

Florida
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

My husband and I are in Stowe Vermont on vacation and today we hiked to sterling pond in smugglers notch. It was beautiful! The hike is very easy (one mile up). The pond at the top of the trail was amazing. You can google images. You can also continue around to spruce peak for some fantastic views.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

Sterling Pond is indeed a nice trail, but has no panoramic views. The best hikes IMHO are:

1. If pressed for time (like you will be for a 3 day trip!) Drive up the toll road in Stowe, then climb around to your hearts' content at the top where the views are spectacular. A personal favorite is the Lake View trail - a small loop ~.6 mile long that starts and ends on the ridge trail at the summit. The Ridge trail itself is great too - ~3 rather flat miles round trip from the toll road parking lot to the Chin, which is the higest peak in VT.

2. If you've got 3-4 hours, start from the Stevensville Road trainhead in Underhill. Either hike up and back on the Maple Ridge trail (quite rugged and scenic - like Sunset Ridge but with 10% of the foot traffic).

Or hike up the Butler Lodge trail (woodsy, 1.5 miles) across the Rock Garden Trail (very interesting and rugged with rock scrambling 0.8 miles), and down Maple Ridge (spectacular, ~1.5 miles) back to the parking lot.

3. The Burlington rec path is gorgeous. It's flat, with great views of the lake.

4. The Colchester causeway (~5 miles north of Burlington) is similarly beautiful. It's ~2 miles long & juts out into the lake. Great views of both the Adirondaks and the Green Mtns.

Enjoy!

10. Re: hikes & recommendations for a VT trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Vermont