We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Five day Vermont itinerary

Hendersonville, NC
3 posts
Save Topic
Five day Vermont itinerary

My husband and I have decided to visit Vermont on our anniversay in early October. We need opinions on our plan. We are thinking about flying into Manchester, NH and driving to Chester. Spend 2 nights in Chester visiting the bottom half of the state. On the 3rd day we will drive up to either Stowe or Burlington (suggestions on which town is needed). Spend the remaining two nights there and fly out of Burlington. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

What do you want to do in northern Vermont? Your answer will help those of us here offer advice about Burlington vs. Stowe.

Burlington is a small city, Stowe is a village. There's a lot more nightlife in Burlington than Stowe at that time of year. Both have many excellent restaurant choices. Stowe has hiking in the mountains, Burlington has a lake, both have wonderful bikepaths.

You will want to be making reservations as soon as possible, whichever you choose, since early October is peak season, very high demand, and the best inns and hotels sell out months in advance.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

If you are going in early October start your short visit in the northern part of VT so fly into BTV and fly out of MHT. Almost every New England state has Chester. I am not sure which Chester you are visiting. From your post I would think the one in NH or VT. Or maybe in CT, RI or ME? I don't know of Chester in MA

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

We love antiqueing, scenery, quaint towns, B&B's. I'm talking about Chester VT.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

Given those personal preferences you've expressed, Chester is a great choice, and I'd recommend Stowe over Burlington.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

Wolfpacker78,

Chester is a great little town...but so is Woodstock so do pay us a visit! The village has more to offer than Chester and you can walk to not only a National Park, award winning museums, a wonderful selection of restaurants and antique/craft/galleries but the village also has more top 6 B & B's/inns on Trip Advisor than anywhere else in the State!

It also has the Vermont Hospitality Councils 2006 B & B Innkeepers of the year as well as their 2007 Restaurant of the year located in the village.

Do check out www.woodstockvt.com and even if you do decide to stay in Chester fit in a day trip (perhaps on your way to Burlington up route 100?) to the village.

The village is often rated as one of the top 5 villages in all of the US, which says it all!

Hendersonville...
Level Contributor
123 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

Wow - I will definitely check out Woodstock before booking reservations in Chester! Thanks.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

I'll second SOTT suggestion of Chester and Stowe. Two villages with very different feel and a beautiful drive between the two. (your Innkeepers will be able to advise on the prettiest route) Woodstock is a must for a day trip but as it is a popular tourist destination, especially in October, it can get VERY busy. Chester would provide the Quaint Village feel your looking for and has great antique shops and "junk stores" in town and within a short drive. With only two days, Chester has plenty to keep you occupied in the South VT area without sacrificing any "must dos". And as suggested by the previous poster do check TA - you will find that B&B's in Chester also rate very highly both in State ratings and nationally.

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

Just curious, are you wolfpacker78 or royaldd? You are posting here under two names.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

Does it really matter?

One is likely the wife, the other the husband....both are from Hendersonville, NC, so what are the odds we have an impostor?

;-)

Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Five day Vermont itinerary

signothetimes53, just curious. That's it. Don't read too much to it. LOL! The end