We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th Anniversary

Houston, TX
1 post
Save Topic
40th Anniversary

I'm sending my parents on a 40th anniversary trip for 4 - 5 days in Oct and would like some suggestions of what to do in Vermont, neat places to stay, things to see, etc. I think they'd like Bed and Breakfasts and historic rural areas. Thanks for any suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th Anniversary

_This_ October?

That might be late, given that it is foliage season, and some of the best places are fully booked months ago.

Since your parents are likely senior citizens, I'd contact a bus tour to see about openings that take them to the foliage highlights.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th Anniversary

No there is still availability here in Southern Vermont. Check out Chester - it would be perfect for your parents. Loads of wonderful scenery and history.

Great B&Bs include The Chester house Inn www.chesterhouseinn.com a wonderful colonial in a central location. The Inn at Weathersfield www.weathersfieldinn.com on over 20 rural acres award winning restaurant and elegant rooms, and the Inn Victoria www.innvictoria.com a 2008 Tripadvisor Travellers choice award winner (top 10 B&B's USA)

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Chester
Chester
Vermont
Chester House Inn
Chester House Inn
153 Reviews
Chester, VT
The Inn at Weathersfield
The Inn at Weathersfield
265 Reviews
Perkinsville, VT
Inn Victoria
Inn Victoria
498 Reviews
Chester, VT
United States
United States
North America
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th Anniversary

If your parents are "Sound of Music" fans, see if the Trapp Lodge has availability. It's not a b&b, but might be fun for a night or two and the setting is fantastic.

Otherwise, Chester is a good choice. You'll hear some about Woodstock which is also a nice town.

I just read in the local paper about b&b that will be opening in St. Johnsbury soon-it's located on Main Street in a beautiful historic house. Not sure what it's name is. StJ is a nice town to explore.

Have fun planning! Book accommodations ASAP as well because, as mentioned above, this is a very busy time of year!

Mentioned in this post
Chester
Chester
Vermont
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Saint Johnsbury
Saint Johnsbury
Northeast Kingdom, VT
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th Anniversary

Mlaone,

Woodstock has to be on your list of places for them to see/stay. Check out town web site at www.woodstockvt.com and there is still a fairly good selection of lodging available depending upon your parents style.

Two of the top 6 B & B/Inns in the whole State as ranked by Trip Advisor are in/near the village and the village has history in bundles, a covered bridge in it's centre, a National park you can walk straight into (the only place in all of the US that you can do this!) and wonderful restaurants and small independent shops/galleries.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
The Inns at Equinox
The Inns at Equinox
220 Reviews
Manchester, VT
Colchester...
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th Anniversary

You should check out Applewood Manor B&B in Castleton, VT, and also read the reviews on this site from people that stayed there.

It's a historic house, beautifully restored, and the entire area has tons of history close by. The hosts would treat your parents like royalty I'm sure -- just let them know it's their anniversary ;)

And Castleton is only a short drive from many other wonderful areas - including Woodstock, and they could stop at Killington & take the gondola ride to the to for great foliage.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
6. Re: 40th Anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 20:19