We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay between newport and burlington

Washington DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay between newport and burlington

On our way back from a Quebec holiday to catch a plane in Burlington we want to stay somewhere between Newport and Burlington. Is there a nice place with good food you would suggest stopping for the one night? Thanks for any suggestions.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

I don't think there are many places. We went up to visit relatives in Newport a few years ago. I went to Penn State, so I thought I knew what rural was like. Well, I had no idea. That part of Vermont is--well, quiet, which is great if you're seeking peace and tranquillity, but requires a great deal of forethought when traveling with young children. I suggest going all the way to Burlington to spend the night--you'll find lots of good choices there.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

The problem here is that you are asking for both good food and a nice place as a combo. That is indeed a very rural stretch, and unless you dip down to Stowe (which is not "between Newport and Burlington"), you aren't likely to find much between Newport and Burlington.

The Eastside Restaurant in Newport serves decent food, though hardly gourmet. The Black Lantern Inn in Montgomery has closed, so that's out....and there's nothing in St. Albans that's "nice" for lodging, just your hum-drum routine roadside chain hotel.

I agree that you might as well go all the way to Burlington.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

Thanks for trying. We have now found a B&B an hour or so (if I remember correctly) from Burlington called The Donomar Inn Bed and Breakfast (916 VT RT 108 South Jeffersonville) and one of the very pleasant sounding owners had a recommendation of where we could eat. I'll post back when we return.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

I have to admit I'm not familiar with that B&B. Jeffersonville itself it very small and quiet (and yes, about one hour from Burlington, maybe slightly less). There aren't a lot of dining options, though there are a couple that offer simple-but-good food.

Assuming that your trip is this summer, you'll also be close enough to drive into Stowe thru Smuggler's Notch if you're looking for a fine dining option above and beyond that which is offered in Jeff.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
32 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

To end the thread, we stayed in Jeffersonville close to Stow and about an hour away from Burlington at a bed and breakfast called the Donomar Inn. We enjoyed our visit there and meeting the owners. Our room was clean and comfortable and we had a good breakfast. Good value. Jeffersonville is a small artist center and close to the smuggler's notch mountain area.

6. Re: Where to stay between newport and burlington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 00:19