We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

miami
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

I would like to go on three day canoe trip with my girl friend in Vermont. Would like to find remote area with beautiful landscape. We would like to canoe during the day and perhaps stay at different Bed and Breakfasts each night. Would like to spend one day climbing a mountain. Looking for a serious hike with a spectacular view. I would really appreciate any recommendations as I am not familiar with Vermont. Thank you in advance!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

Hi Miami South Beach,

Check out www.VermontVacation.com for a first port of call and then try local Chamber offices. If you want to stay in Woodstock (but it may not be remote enough for you?) I would be happy to suggest some more ideas.

Hiking we can do here as the Mount Tom National Park is on our door step as is the Appalachian Trail.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,486 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

There's some wonderful canoing on the Lamoille River in Jeffersonville and Cambridge. I've only done day paddles there (as well as spots just downriver in Fairfax and Milton), but I'd guess that a 2-3 day itinerary would be doable.

Even if not, you might consider doing some nice day paddles... or paddle to your heart's content on Lake Champlain - which has lots of waterfront services along the VT side.

For a serious hike, I'd strongly suggest doing Mt Mansfield (VTs highest at 4300 ft.), starting either in Stowe (east side) or Underhill (west side). If you paddle around Jeffersonville, that's a 15 min drive north from Stowe.

My favorite hike up Mansfield is from the Stevensville Road trailhead in Underhill, up the Frost trail to Maple Ridge. That's ~2.5 miles and 2500 vertical ft., with awesome western views of Lake Champlain and NY's adirondaks starting 1/2 way up. Maple Ridge takes you to the 'forehead' - 1 of the 3 peaks along the top of the Mountain. There's a great ~flat ridge walk along the top (~2.5 miles of the Long Trail), with lots of rugged side trails if you want to add more beef to the hike. I'd return to your car using the same route (the most spectacular), but there are 4-5 other trails in case you want to make a loop out of it.

On the Stowe side, my favorite trail is Hell Brook - very rugged, ~1.5 miles and ~2200 vertical ft. The Long trail is a more common ascent. These trails are both nice and woodsy. You get little bits of views, but have to wait until close to the top for long views. I like a loop with Hell Brook up, play around at the summit on various trails, then the Long Trail down, which dumps you out on VT 108 ~1 mile south of the Hell Brook trailhead.

Enjoy!

miami
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

chris and Liz

Thank you for your info! def big help for vermont trip

Danny

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

Clearwater Sports in Waitsfield has nice canoe trips on the Winooski & Mad River. Great hiking in the Valley, some favs are; Burt Rock, Mount Abraham, Camels Hump also tons of swimming holes in the mad river, end your day floating on a tube back to your B&B!

The MRV is a very cool laid back area with all the ammenities that you need, just not in your face.

Luke

5. Re: Advice please! 3 day canoe trip and B&B recommendations VT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Vermont