We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Topic
Places to stay

We are travelling from Cape Cod to Quebec City and we are looking for a place to stay two or three nights in Vermont or New Hampshire en route. Something upscale and not too big; ideally a country inn or something on a lake with some activities. There are just two of us - no children. We have been told that Highway 112 through New Hampshire is nice, but lodging information is a bit scarce. I don't think we want to be as far west as Burlington, since it looks like the best route to Canada is through the middle of New Hampshire or Vermont. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay

I've heard really good things about the Lake Morey Inn. It's located off I-91 about 15 minutes north of White River Junction. It's located on Lake Morey and it has a good golf course. http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/

Another idea is the Mountain View Grand in Whitefield, NH. It's not on a lake, but it offers tons of activities and has an awesome spa.

http://www.mountainviewgrand.com/

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay

The suggestions so far are good - but not sure if they are fitting in with the "not too big" requirement. Let us know if you were looking for something smaller and more intimate (up to 20 rooms?)

Seattle, Washington
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay

Smaller would be nice, although the Lake Morey resort would work and is on route. We looked at the Pitcher Inn at Sugarbush, but this seemed out of the way. We loved the Lake Mirror Inn at Lake Placid, which I think had something close to 100 rooms, but we stayed in one of the lake cottages, which was very private. We are currently at the Chatham Bars Inn, and I think we are feeling right now that we want to avoid the feeling of being part of a youth summer camp.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay

Missed the not to big part. Mountain View Grand is BIG!

How about Manor Hovey in North Hatley, QC? It's only about 1/2 hour north of the border (Derby Line crossing). North Hatley is on Lake Massawippi (sp?).

http://www.manoirhovey.com/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay

Manoir Hovey gets an enthusiastic 2nd vote of approval from me, that's a wonderful place!

I do not recommend the Lake Morey Inn, it is a very tired facility in need of of an overhaul, living on its past reputation.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay

Thanks all for the quick reply's.... We were actually thinking of the Ripplecove Inn for two nights. But it sounds like you all give a thumbs up for Manoir Hovey.

We are still looking for something similiar in Vermont or New Hampshire. Is anyone familiar with the woodstock Inn? We would really like to explore some of the charming villages on route to Quebec.

We can't seem to find much in N.H.

Thanks for the input.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay

The Ripplecove Inn is also outstanding. You can't go wrong with either choice in North Hatley.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay

Woodstock Inn is a big hotel (albeit a good hotel), and based on what you say you want, I think you'd be better served finding a smaller inn in Woodstock.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to stay

Twin Farm near Woodtock. If you can swing it ;)

http://www.twinfarms.com/

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to stay

Is there anyone on this forum who has ever actually stayed at Twin Farm?

That's way out of my league, financially....