We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Topic
Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Inquiring minds want to know. Probably bring a few bottles back for the family. Who has the best and the best deals. Thanks, Team Vermont guys.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Don't buy it in the tourist stores! I usually buy it in the local grocery store, for myself or as a gift. I am not sure it matters who the producer is. Just be sure it is from VT. Also, we much prefer Grade B or Grade A dark to the fancier grades. It has a lot more flavor and substance to it.

A word of warning, I just took 4 or 5 metal cans of it to family in CA. I had the foresight to put each can in a ziplock bag before putting in my luggage (I was flying). Good thing because one of the cans leaked (it was dropped). Sticky is fun on your pancakes, not so fun on your clothing!

Boston...
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Try the Morse Farm (http://www.morsefarm.com/) or Bragg Farm (http://www.central-vt.com/web/bragg/) in the Capital Region. Especially Morse Farm, the owner is quite the character. Although you can find their goods in most country stores, going to the actual farm is quite the experience and recommended.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Thanks, that's what I want to hear. Going direct, we're spending a few days across the state next weekend and will have time to re-explore. Keep the ideas/names coming.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

You can buy it cheap at the supermarket, but I'd like to make a plea to montco and anyone else: buy your syrup, if you can, directly from the farm.

Farmers have a tough enough time making a living, and the more they can sell direct, the more profit they make. Letting the farmer get the total profit, rather than giving a big chunk to Stop & Shop or Giant Supermarkets makes a lot of sense to me.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

That's what I said, going direct. While not exactly to the tree but close enough.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

If your in the southern part of state I have couple of ideas for you. First over in Rutper,VT you should check out Lewis' Sugar house, they sell there product at the Rupert Country Store [if they have any in try their maple candy its the best in the world IMHO]. My second choice if your in the area of Londonderry,VT on a Saturday morning go the Farmer's Market, and buy your maple syrup from the Kurjiaka family. The Mom Robin and sometimes the youngest son Raymond [if he's not at an ox pull with his team] do all the selling.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
647 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

We'll be staying at Cliff Haven Farm B&B in northern VT this July. They have photos making maple syrup on their website.

http://www.cliffhavenbedandbreakfast.com

We'll let you know how it is.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Mitch's Maple Syrup in Chester or the Sugarbush farm in taftsville (where they make great cheese too!) very friendly and helpful people and the better prices than the tourist stores.

southeastern, pa
Level Contributor
232 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Hey, thanks for the info. Anyone ever try Taft's Milk & Maple Farm in Huntington, just below I-89?

Appreciate all the input.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone got their favorite Vt maple syrup provider?

Just a small correction: Sugarbush Farm doesn't actually make their own cheese, they purchase it from another company, and have it packaged with the "Sugarbush Farm" label.

It's very good cheese, though.