We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall foliage

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Fall foliage

Hello,

My husband and I are thinking about going up to New England for fall foliage. We would plan on 8 days touring VT, NH and Maine. We will probably fly into Albany because as of today it is about the cheapest flight we can get. My question is which week of October is more likely to hit peak? We would either go from Oct. 3 - Oct. 12th or Oct 10th - Oct. 19th. I originally had decided on the first week then changed it to the second week. I have to make plane reservations and won't be able to change my mind. Any opinions as to what you would do?

Thanks.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall foliage

If you go the first week then you should find beautiful foliage in the North of the state. The scond week would give more reliable peak color in the south. However its not a precise science and depends upon all manner of things. E.g you can find "peak color" on north facing hillsides or at higher altitudes during the early part of the month, later in the month some of the valleys and south facing hills in areas "past peak" will still have glorious color. Where ever you choose then ask your innkeeper to suggest the most scenic drive as most know which roads and direction will give you the best chance of peak color. Do book you accommodation soon though - both those weeks are high season and as such many of the best places fill very quickly. (if they are not full already!)

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall foliage

I personally would go with your fist dates - the 3-12th.

Look for lodging in central Vermont - basically anywhere between Route 2 and Route 4. This will put you in a good central location for leaf scouting-if you need to head north, you won't have too far to go, and if you need to head south, then vice-versa.

The first thing I would do is book your accommodations. This is a VERY busy time of year so I'd try and get booked ASAP.

As far as NH, check out the Jackson area or the Franconia area.

What were you looking to do in Maine? Mountains/lakes? Seacoast? If you want the seacoast, I'd stick to Southern Maine. We love the Kennebunkport area.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall foliage

Thanks,

Actually we had a trip all planned out last year and due to two family emergencies we were unable to go. We just now decided to go ahead and try again. We lost so much money from accommodations that we had pre-paid and had to cancel. I plan on looking into accomodations next. Money is tighter this year than last so we probably won't be doing any B&B's. Thank you for the opinion on the dates. That was the week we had booked last year. I just got to looking at those foliage charts and it looked like it was a little more peak the second week. I know it's almost impossible to guess.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall foliage

Had you spent your vacation here last year from Oct. 3-12, you would have been disappointed, because the foliage colors arrived quite late, and the peak was the very next week in much of the state. It was the latest foliage season I can ever remember.

Still, I think 3-12 is your best bet, given that there are no guarantees.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall foliage

B&B's are not necessarily any more expensive than hotels. Someone last week on this forum was looking at the Comfort Inns and the prices were high $180's you can easily get a B&B for that AND the added value of a HUGE breakfast (save buying lunch!) and personal concierge service. Do also consider buying travel insurance. On average the cost is about $70 per person but it will cover for all cancellation costs in the event of your not being able to travel. (as well as covering for lost property/luggage, or stolen items - although theft is not a problem in VT!)

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall foliage

That is a great idea! We have done that before when we went to Europe but it never occurred to me to do that here. Thanks for the tip. Last year was the first trip we have ever had to cancel. That would make it easier to schedule without worries.

The main reason I didn't want to do B&B's is because their cancellation policies seem to be stricter than the chain motels. One extremely nice owner of the Applebutter Inn in Woodstock immediately sent us a check last year. She was the only one. Some of the others said they would but didn't. To be fair though we did cancel after the allowed dates so they weren't obligated to.

Thanks again.

Florida
Level Contributor
128 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall foliage

Trip cancelation insurance is a must whenever you have paid money out for a vacation that has a no refund policy.

8. Re: Fall foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 21:18