We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

My husband and I have settled on what we hope should be a reasonable route but would really appreciate some feedback from people who know the roads and the area.

We are planning to arrive in Montreal on 10th October and tour northern New England, returning to the UK on 24th October.

I've done lots of research in the forums and the quite detailed plan is below - please bear with me as I would really appreciate your views!! I'm also conscious that I need to book accommodation urgently!

The plan so far is:

10th arrive Montreal - spend first night there

11th stay one night enroute to Greenville. We think we need to split up the drive from montreal to Greenville (think it's about 6hrs??)so we're looking at Stratton. I don't know what's there or if anyone has any other suggestions for a mid way point to stay for one night?

12th & 13th two nights in Greenville to explore Moosehead Lake and maybe explore Golden Road (I hear it's pretty scenic). Hoping to see some moose here too.

14th, 15th, 16th three nights Acadia. Hoping to stay Bass Harbour and if we have enough time, to use one of the days to go out to Schoodic Penninsula.

And this is where I need your help.....

17th & 18th pick up the Kancamagus Highway into Lincoln NH (or somewhere in that area - ideally, small, quiet and scenic - any suggestions?). Hope to spend the two days in the Mountains.

19th, 20th, 21st Warren VT - again, I'm not set on Warren but think we need to be in roughly this area so any suggestions would be great. We'll use this as a base to explore the Green Mountains for the three days.

22nd & 23rd Drive up to Burlington and then pick up route 2 back to Montreal. Spend 2 days in Montreal before heading back to the UK (boo!).

I'm a bit worried about the journey from Acadia to Lincoln as I think this could be 5.5 hrs (accordig to Mapquest) - would you recommend a stop off mid way for one night and if so any suggestions where? (we could sacrifice the additional Montreal day on 22nd but were hoping to have time to explore the city).

We really don't want to spend all of our time in the car and whilst I appreciate that 2-3 days doesn't really do justice to the places we are visiting, we hope to be able to get a good taste.

Does the itinerary above seem OK and allow reasonable time to explore? Are the distances realistic for each day?

Our main interests are nature, hiking, photography and getting off the beaten track and away from it all.

Any suggestions of routes, places en route, alternative places to stop and stay, 'must sees' - actually, any of your good advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Apologies for so many questions!

Have also posted in ME forum for advice on that leg of the journey.

Many thanks.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

For the Montreal to Greenville, Maine leg-if you are referring to STratton, Vermont, then that is WAY at of your way. I'd have to get out my map, but the Eastern Townships of Quebec might be a good overnight point.

Can't help with the Maine section.

Warren, VT is a great place for a couple days. The Mad River Valley is beautiful. It's a great base for exploring the Green Mountains.

Burlington will be fun for 2 days and the drive up throught the Champlain Islands is pretty.

I think you've done well with the Vermont section of your trip!

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

Thank you!

I think it's Stratton, Maine nr Rangeley. get very confused - so many places with the same name in New England. Just need to make sure I book accommodation in the right one!

Looking forward to our trip very much!

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

I think the 5,5 hr drive from Maine to NH is doable for a day with some tourist stops along the way. The Warren/Mad River Valley portion of your trip is sure to be enjoyable, great trails, scenery. food & B&B's. If you need help in setting up things to do send a private message.

Be sure to hit the Champlain Islands while in Burlington, it is so beautiful in the fall & there should still be some color in the Champlain valley that time of year.

Luke

Corinth, Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

Greetings,

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

We LOVE the Schoodic peninsula--prefer it far and away over the summer crowds in Acadia proper, although in October you might be ok. There are several small fishing villages on the Schoodic and a few pretty decent seafood restaurants. Loved it! Good choice!

Coming back over the Kankamangus Highway is a great idea. Think about maybe stopping in Woodstock, NH., just down the road from Lincoln.

You can get to Lincoln/Woodstock, NH in one days drive from the Schoodic--I've done it a number of times. Once you are in the White Mountains of NH there will be lots of information centers and places to check with locals about hiking trails, places to eat and stay, etc. It is a wonderfully scenic area.

If you are serious hikers you might consider hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail which travels along the highest ridges of the White Mountains. There are many good day hikes in the area. Following is the NH chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club-- you should check it out.

http://www.amc-nh.org/

Enjoy your trip, it sounds spectacular.

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

Thank you for your advice - it's really appreciated. So pleased you think it's a good itinerary - we can't wait now.

We have decided to stay in Bass Harbor rather than Acadia proper and to break the journey to Lincoln with a night in Damariscotta. Gives a bit more coastline to explore before heading into the mountains and we want to have enough time to stop off on our journey between places - hubby is bound to double the journey time with his numerous photo stops!!.

The hiking in that area looks great. Thanks for the link.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Advice on vermont leg on this itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 06:27
Get answers to your questions about Vermont