We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which direction for foliage

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Which direction for foliage

My husband and I will be flying into MHT on Oct 1st and will be flying out on Oct.11th. We want to make a circle and either go from Manchester west into Vermont, crossing back through Northern New Hampshire and through Bethel, ME and over to Portland down the coast back to Manchester.

Our other choice is to head straight for the coastline and go up to Portland and on west to Northern New Hampshire and on into Northern Vermont coming back down south to Woodstock and then back to Manchester.

I am trying to maximize foliage but also want to see the coast. I figure we will miss foliage on the coast either way. Should we spend the first couple of days Oct 1-2 on the coast or head straight up to Northern VT or NH ?

I thought I had it figured out but am second guessing my route.

Thanks

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which direction for foliage

It's a bit of a gamble no matter which route you choose, since it's never clear when peak foliage colors will arrive, they can vary by a few days or more every year.

I think I'd do the Maine coast route first, but again, it's not a guarantee that you'll get exactly what you want for foliage.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,309 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which direction for foliage

I'm wiht sign - I'd do Maine first. Make sure you make lodging resevations NOW for Vermont. Many places get booked months in advance.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which direction for foliage

Yup coast first then VT. Make sure you have accommodation booked ASAP - especially for weekends. bear in mind many places require a two night stay, especially in the popular towns.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which direction for foliage

Thanks to everyone! I had just started making reservations when I decided I might have my route backwards. I appreciate your input.

Corinth, Vermont
Level Contributor
63 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which direction for foliage

Greetings,

I agree, go up the coast first. As you swing west through NH and VT you'll be going up in elevation, over and over. With that you ought to catch the colors in all their variation from beginning through peak, and maybe past peak. I am in east-central Vermont (on a map very close to US Rt. 302 (which is one of the main E-W routes through NH an Vt) and we peak the first week of October, generally speaking.

Have no fear, you'll get to see plenty of color unless the weather turns wet, cold and windy which brings the leaves down quickly.

Enjoy!

6. Re: Which direction for foliage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Vermont