We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

my husband and I would like to spend a few weeks in Vermont/Maine in Sept. Oct. 2009, happy to plan it now as we are just off for a month to Vancouver, California, NYC and Quebec and I know I will be depressed when I have to go back to work, so a project for next Fall will be great to help me recover. I have found what looks to be a great house to rent on the lakeside at S Hero. but is the area known for its Fall foliage ? is it a good base to have if we fly in from Montreal then have a week driving to Boston to end up visiting relatives in MA ?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

Foliage arrives very late in South Hero and the Champlain islands. You likely won't see much color until October 15 in that area. It's beautiful, though, especially if you are lakeside.

If you are ending in Boston, be advised that South Hero is about 1:15 drive from Montreal, and 4+ hours from Boston, so it's not a "halfway" point. Still, the drive from Burlington Vermont to Boston is pretty fast and easy, on Interstate 89 and Interstate 93...

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

We were in that area last week and while the "proper" foliage hasn't started, there was a distinct change to reds pinks and gold in the trees around the lake (viewed from ferry and causeway) In NY around Ausable point I'd swear it was late September!

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

thanks to you both for your replies. so we will make our plans start a little later in September to early October to take in a mid October stay at South Hero. thanks also for the advice about it not being half way. I think flying into Boston rather than Montreal at the start may then be our best plan with a day or two staying her and there on our way up to South Hero arriving by mid October to hopefully catch the colours - having enjoyed them en route. As Montreal is so close this now sounds like a good way to leave for home as we may also fit in a day or two in the city after dropping the rental car. Guess I will allow 3 weeks for the whole trip. cheers.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

Hello Sue, one additional piece of info: while peak foliage doesn't arrive in South Hero until October 15 or so, that is quite a bit later than most of the rest of Vermont. Peak color will be October 7-12 or so on the route from Boston thru New Hampshire and Vermont.

Oddly, if you look at a map of Vermont, that narrow strip of land along both sides of Lake Champlain in the far north of Vermont stay green later than the rest of central and northern Vermont. But by October 15, much of the color is gone from the rest of central and northern Vermont....so plan your trip accordingly if foliage colors are a key objective.

UK
Level Contributor
93 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

thank you that is extremely helpful and I will do what you suggest when planning our dates and our route. sue

6. Re: Lake Champlain Islands, S Hero

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 04:15