We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B etiquette and tipping

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
B&B etiquette and tipping

I will be traveling in New England this October and staying in B&B's in Vermont and Maine. I have never stayed in a B&B before. I found the concept of B&B's daunting, so I always stuck to hotels. Are there any rules of etiquette I should be aware of in advance?

Also, how does one tip in a B&B? How frequently, how much, in what manner (leave it in the room, in an envelope, hand it to someone, at meals, etc.), and whom does one tip?

Any guidelines and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B etiquette and tipping

As an innkeeper I believe I'm qualified to answer this one :-)

You should be made to comfortable in a B&B most competent innkeepers will soon relieve any fears B&B 'virgins" will have :-) The contractual obligation is for room rental and breakfast - but there is much more if you want to take advantage of their experience and "local expertise". Your innkeeper can be tour guide, concierge, and much more. I tell people that staying at an Inn is like staying at a friends house - except you don't have to talk to your 'friend' if you don't want to and they will still clean up after you. The only other 'etiquette" I'd mention is that as the B&B is usually someones home and a little more personal than a hotel so you should be a little more considerate of other guests (e.g no loud music at 4.00am or chinese food in bed!) than you would perhaps be at a Holiday Inn. But for most people this is common sense.

In smaller establishments where there are no employees and the place is owned by the innkeeper then tipping is not customary. However if the service is above and beyond what is expected then a gesture to the owners upon departure is always appreciated.

In places with a housekeeper or maid then $2-3 dollars a day appears to be the going rate. (we find that most guests leave $5 for a two night stay) leave it in the room at the end of your stay.

Do check policies as there are some establishments that automatically add between 10 and 20% gratuity charge to your bill. I've always found this a little annoying as a gratuity by its nature should be something voluntarily given as a gesture of appreciation and not a compulsary charge. (Unless you are staying at a full service inn and charging dinner to your room, where this should only be added to the dining part of your final bill)

If you've picked your accommodation using the reviews on Tripadvisor as guidance I'm sure you'll find that your innkeepers are very used to nervous guests during fall foliage and do their best to make sure you have a great time.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B etiquette and tipping

TravelTravelTip,

I totally agree with Julie but would like to add that on a recent poll at BB.com most innkeepers were against accepting any gratuities. The feeling was that the client should tell the world in reviews etc. and that as Julie says..tipping should be aimed at certain staff, if the inn does have staff apart from the overworked owners!

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
15 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B etiquette and tipping

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware of that. I wouldn't want to offend an innkeeper by not leaving a gratuity. Would you say it's best to just tip as I would in a conventional hotel?

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B etiquette and tipping

You won't offend an innkeeper if you don't leave a tip - its not expected. If the place is larger than 10 rooms and/or there is clear indication that there is a housekeeper (usually envelopes in the room) and you are pleased with the level of cleanliness, etc then a few dollars a day left at the end of your stay(as you would in a regular hotel)is a appreciated.

5. Re: B&B etiquette and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 00:18