We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for vibrant reds

Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
looking for vibrant reds

Currently in the Woodstock area and seeing some very nice color, but mostly yellows, orange and rust. Would love to do some short hikes (maybe 1-3 miles) in an area where we could see more vibrant red colors. Anyone aware of someplace that fits that description. Would be willing to drive, so if the answer is in the southwestern (or other) part of the state, please speak up. Thanks in advance.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,768 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for vibrant reds

The reds tend to be among the first colors to come and go, though there are generally some that hang around well into the peak season. If there's aren't many where you are, try the higher elevations around you first (just to see if it's a weird year and there are some there... since that's closer by). If not, then look around the Champlain Valley along the western border of the state and/or farther south. Enjoy. :)

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for vibrant reds

I've was told that route 9 around 100 mile view is at peak as of yesterday and the Mount Snow area is beautiful. I haven't seen it personally (being an Innkeeper I'm stuck working while the leaf peepers are out and about!) but a guest showed me photos on their digital camera and it looks stunning. Also very pretty on Route 100 nr Ludlow lake area, route 11 between Springfield and Chester and the hillsides (nr rte 35) between Chester and grafton.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for vibrant reds

I just had to go down to Rutland and wow...the colors, especially between Brandon along Route 7 and Bristol along 116 are...welll..wow. Lots of red. Bright red.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for vibrant reds

Sorry missed the bit about hike - for a flat simple hike with foliage color reflected on the water why not try Lowell lake nr Londonderry. Then theres Quechee Gorge nr Woodstock - or if your feeling energetic Ascutney or Okemo mountains 20 - 30 miles south - the views from the top are awesome.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for vibrant reds

The Burlington area is gorgeous this weekend, esp. with the brilliant sunshine and blue skies to contrast against the brilliant yellows, oranges and reds of the leaves.

This is peak for us, about 5 to 7 days earlier than normal....and 10 days earlier than peak in Burlington last year.

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for vibrant reds

Leaving Scranton in AM to go to Burlington; then leaving Burlington in the PM next day to go toward White River Jct. Where do yoou suggest we look around the Burlington area before heading toward WRJ?

Thanks,

Rob

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for vibrant reds

I'd drive thru the Champlain Islands on Rt 2, the colors contrasted with the blue waters of the lake are wonderful.

8. Re: looking for vibrant reds

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 00:19