We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Days in the Snow

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Few Days in the Snow

OK, you all steered me right in our fall (October) foliage visit to Vermont. We loved Vermont so much we wanted to return in the winter and hopefully snowmobile a little or whatever else you all recommend. We are not that familiar with snow related activities since the last snow we had was like 20+ years ago and then it only covered the ground for a day.

We are from the flatlands of South Georgia so obviously we do not ski. Don't want any broken bones so thought we would limit our activities to these:

1) Staying in a great lodge or B&B, preferably one that has snowmobiling/activities on site.

2) Snowmobiling or whatever else you recommend. Those high ski slopes bother me a little, I think.

When would you suggest we plan to visit?

Thanks very much.

Rob

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Days in the Snow

One classic B&B in the heart of snowmobile country:

http://www.innonthecommon.com/

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Days in the Snow

Thank you. Looks like a very inviting place to me.

Rob

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Days in the Snow

I second sign's idea of the Craftsbury (not familiar with that inn). Craftsbury is also home to a large cross-country skiing facility - something you should definately try. It's different than downhill. Snowshoeing is fun as well.

Another suggest would be to check out the East Burke area. Try the Wildflower Inn or the Inn at Mountain View Creamery. Snowmobiling is popular in the area and there is a nice cross-country ski center. AND, if you decide to tackle it, there is a downhill ski area there as well.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Days in the Snow

Need to make a correction to my post...its the Inn at Mountain View Farm (not Creamery). OOPS!

Blackshear, Georgia
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Days in the Snow

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. Going to check them out right now. If I wanted to try a downhill, which I do, are there slopes for less than beginners????? Suggestions?

Thanks again for your time and your responses.

Rob

Warren, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Waitsfield
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Days in the Snow

Why not try snow shoeing. It is very easy to do & fun in a non-motorized way. Where ever you end up you should be able to find a place that rents snow shoes. There is nothing like the quiet of being in the woods on a winters day.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Days in the Snow

Every ski area offers beginner terrain as well as rentals and lessons. Please take a lesson if you decide to try it out!

8. Re: Few Days in the Snow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 07:18