We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An Englishman in New England

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
An Englishman in New England

Hi I'm travelling to New England in September with my wife. We hope to see as much of New England as we can in 3 weeks. We're starting and ending in Boston, and will visit Vermont at some point. Any advice on best things to see, best places to visit, good hotels or preferably friendly B&B's, restaurants etc would be great. We would particularly like to see 'small town' America.

Thanks Steve

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: An Englishman in New England

While everyone tells you to go far north, might I suggest that you not miss the southern parts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. The weather is some of the best of the year in Sept, with warm days and clear,cool nights. Weston Vt, Keene NH,(covered bridges in nearby Swanzey) Bennington VT, all are nice towns with good restaurants, and nice B&Bs. Right across the border in northern Mass is Williamstown, another pretty town. All of these areas offer not too strenuous hiking. Also just outside of Pittsfield Mass is Hancock Shaker Village, at the end of Sep they have a large craft fair.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An Englishman in New England

Hello Baggo in Liverpool...

You've got to spend at least two nights in Woodstock VT, check out the village web site www.woodstockvt.com to see all about the history, great food and lodging and access to a National Park you can walk to from the village centre. The village is in the centre of tjhe State and you can reach it in about 2.5 hours, an easy drive from Boston. I cannot comment on B & B's in the village as I run one, but if you check out Trip Advisor you will find a good number have won awards and also been well reviewed by travellers on the site.

You will see small town USA as well as true beauty and get to eat great food...and I do suggest a stop for lunch at the Long Trail brewery just west of the village.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An Englishman in New England

This thread has some ideas for places to see while touring around New England from Boston:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28966-i656-k24604…

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An Englishman in New England

I agree with everything the other posters have written but would add that if you really want to see "small town" USA then its worth seeking out some of the less obvious "tourist" towns. When are you planning to come in September? If you're here between labor day (7th September this year) which marks the end of summer and Leaf peepin' starting (depending upon where in the state from 20th - 30th Sept) there are usually some great deals to be had. Color is just starting to turn and the evenings start to cool. Harvest festivals apple festivals, craft fayres etc. abound. In the Okemo valley area there are many cute little towns that are worthy of exploring. Weston is famous for its playhouse and being the location of the Vermont country store - a great place for discovering hard to find and unusual items and also for free snacking and tasting of the best that VT has to offer. Grafton is picture perfect and the home of the Grafton Cheese factory and Grafton Ponds for mountain bike rental and hiking trails. Chester is quintessential Vermont with a central village Green and Victorian architecture. All the towns have a varied selection of excellent lodging offering great value for money. The location in south/central Vt is very accessible and a great base for exploring a good three quarters of the state. Information on the area can be found on www.yourplaceinvermont.com

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An Englishman in New England

Hi Davisbignose!

Amazingly one of my best mates in work has the nickame 'big nose'! Anyway you've sold me on a couple of nights in Woodstock, what's the name of your B&B, do you have a website or pictures etc?

Your information is just the sort of stuff we're looking for thanks.

By the way love the dog, what breed is it, we have a mad Dalmatian!!

Cheers

Steve

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An Englishman in New England

Hi Newenglandweaver

I don't intend to go too far north possibly Portland. But we want to see plenty of Vermont, New Hampshire, in fact as much of rural New England as we can, but not forgetting the coast, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard etc.

Thsnks for the advice

Steve

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: An Englishman in New England

Hi Chris & Liz

Thanks for the tip, all advice is gratefully received

Cheers

Steve

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An Englishman in New England

Hi Innvic

Chester (the English version is half hour down the road from us) and Grafton (my Dad used to work in Grafton St Liverpool) sound like just the sort of towns we'd love, so thanks for the tips. We actually arrive in Boston on 12th Sept and leave on 2nd Oct, looks like I'm going to have to be very careful and not try to do too much, we don't want to spend all our tme driving, much rather stop at small towns for a day or 2, like the one's you suggest

Thanks again

Steve

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An Englishman in New England

Cape Cod is very nice - particularly way out around Provincetown. Nice bike paths, good seashore for beaching, and in P-town.. colorful interesting folks and art galeries. But... IMHO it's a lot of driving to get there and the cape could easily be skipped in favor of some of the less touristy small towns along the coast north of Boston.

The top towns in VT for me are Woodstock, Burlington and Stowe. All are within ~1 hour drive of each other, so that's a nice area to hole up and spend at least 3-4 days exploring and relaxing.

Cheers!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An Englishman in New England

There is an old fashioned Craft fayre in Chester over the weekend 19/20th September. Music/food stands/crafts and gifts all on the village Green. Its a real party atmosphere - all the Maple creemees and corn dogs you can eat washed down with a pint of Otter creek! If you were around at that time its worth checking out.

P.S my Hubby used to live in Chester UK to (we're expats) and my best friend is from the Wirral! (so I'm trying to avoid the temptation to do the Harry Enfield "calm down calm down"!thing...oh.. I just failed miserably!)