We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation to Vermont

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation to Vermont

We are planning a family vacation to Vermont in late October but have no idea which area to stay in. I would really appreciate some advice on where would be best to go, my children are aged 9, 6 and 3 so would like some activites like boating on the lake or a mountain trip. I would also really love to experience the tradional picturesque villages and some good shopping. We prefer a quiet life to busy and just really appreciate beautiful scenery. We will be flying into Boston and then driving up to Vermont. Thanks!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Late October will be past the pretty "foliage" colors, the leaves will be mostly gone from the trees. It's beautiful in its own way, but it may not be the kind of beauty you might have in mind.

It also could be grey and cold, which doesn't lend itself to boating on the lake or a mountain hike. In addition, hunting season begins in late October, and the woods may not be the safest place to be for hikers.

I'm not trying to discourage you from coming here, but your choice of late October is not optimal for Vermont.

2. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 May 2009, 01:35
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

October is my favorite month. Still colorfull leaves, but they will be on the ground at end of month. Perfect for a hike in the woods.

Hunting in October is bow & arrow deer, gun for black bear, which don't draw large numbers, hiking in the woods at these times is fine. and duck (on water)

I don't consider October to be gray at all, but it could be cool.

Burlington/S Burlington/Williston would be for shopping. But these aren't quaint VT villages.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Nothern Vermont is way past peak in late October and most State parks (boating)close the week after Columbus weekend for the season. It can still be pretty and its much quieter late October, with often warmish days and crisp nights. As your coming from the UK and a trip like this can be a major "investment" do consider coming earlier if possible. Late September is great for kids - still warm but with a hint of color in the trees, craft fayres, antique fairs, scarcrows, apple picking, waggon rides,boating and swimming in rivers and lakes etc.. The "real New England" :-)

P.S do your shopping in Boston

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Xeena may suggest that hiking in the woods is fine in late October, but I'd still urge you to walk in wooded areas where hunting is not allowed, especially since you have small children.

A bow and arrow is still a bow and arrow, and a gun is still a gun, even if the number of hunters using them will be smaller in late October than during the deer season in November.

And I would add that I agree that October is often very lovely, but by the time you reach *late* October, the onset of the grey skies that predominate in November is often at hand. You might get beautiful blue skies and sunshine, but the odds also suggest you very well could be disappointed. Innvic's advice to reconsider your timing makes a lot of sense, please give it some thought.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Please give us your travel dates so that we can give you accurate advice!

Sugarbush,Vermont
Level Contributor
3 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Please visit our Vermont Chamber of Commerce website for information about activities in various parts of the state. Here is the link: http://www.visitvt.com/

You may want to rent a vacation home/cottage for a week in the center of the state so that you can take day trips to various part of our beautiful state. Also if you rent a home, the children will have TV/DVD, internet, etc in the evenings. A drive along our Route 100 is lovely, thru sm villages, typical Vermont mountain scenery, waterfalls, sometime moose or bear sitings, horses, cows, parks for hiking. Wear bright colors in the woods (hunting)Visit our state capital, Montpelier, very quaint, great food, visit the city of Burlington along Lake Champlain, home of the University of Vermont. I agree with some of the other comments, September would be a better month to make your trip but October can be lovely, our weather is unpredictable, we are in the mountains.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

My 2 favorite towns are Burlington and Stowe. Burlington is convenient to fly into, and it's our largest town (a whopping 50,000 people), so there's plenty to do but it's still a small picturesque place. It's right on Lake Champlain and there are plenty of things for adults and kids to do.

Stowe is a small mountain ski town with and artsy flair. It's tiny in comparison (maybe 15,000?), with perhaps 1/3 of the activities, restaurants, pubs, art galleries, etc.. vs. Burlington.

Both are superb places to visit and nice home bases to either stay and explore or sightsee from. Burlington (and other lower elevations) tends to have fall foliage colors a week or so later than Stowe, so that might be a factor. Hotels will book up fast all around New England since that's the tail end of foliage season, so book quickly. You can get a ton of suggestions for activities, restaurants, hotels, etc.... by doing a couple of searches in the field above your post for 'best restaurants burlington' or similar phrases. Enjoy your trip. :)

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

Thanks everyone this is all really really helpful. I guess we could be a bit more flexible with our dates we haven't booked flights yet but the reason we chose the end of october is that it coincides with the children's school holiday and also fits a bit better round work schedules. We are definitely going to rent a vacation home as opposed to a hotel, it is so much easier with young children. I will definitely check out all of your suggestions, thank you.

10. Re: Family vacation to Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2009, 06:44
Get answers to your questions about Vermont