We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New England in the Fall

East Midlands UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
New England in the Fall

Hi - we're going to become leaf peepers between 5-22 October 2009 and are trying to decide on an itinerary.

We've booked our flights and just about decided on the accommodation for our first night in Boston. Am posting this on all the forums of the states I think we will be travelling through.

What we are thinking of at the moment is:

Night 1 in Boston, picking the hire car up the next morning and having a leisurely trip along the coast taking in Salem and Portsmouth on our way up to kennebunkport for the next night.

Next day up to Portland and on along to Jackson for 2 nights, then

2 nights in Stowe,

2 in Bennington,

2 nights in Litchfield,

2 in Newport followed by

2 nights in Yarmouth and finishing off with

2 night and 3 days in Boston before flying back home.

we'd really appreciate any advice of whether we're choosing the right places to stay at to get the best from our trip or if we would be better going by different places, or even if we are being over ambitious!! We prefer to stay in small B&Bs in small towns (but with plenty to see and good choices of restaurants)

Any comments appreciated - cheers

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New England in the Fall

This looks like a decent itinerary to me, you'll have a very good chance at seeing peak foliage colors in Jackson, Stowe and Bennington if you follow this timeline.

The only one I question is Yarmouth. As long as you understand that a lot of places will be closed for the season, it still can be a good choice, esp. if the weather cooperates.

East Midlands UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New England in the Fall

Hi signofthetimes53

Thanks for the reply - I've had a few replies all making the same comment about Yarmouth - someone suggested Chatham instead - does Cape Cod shut down in the fall then!?!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New England in the Fall

Hello Cudley53 in the East Midlands!

Do pass through Woodstock and you should aim to drive down route 100. You are doing the right thing in spending 2 nights in places but might I suggest that you spend a night in Woodstock rather than 2 in Bennington? The drive to Bennington down route 100/route 7 will only take about 2 hours from Woodstock but about 4 from Stowe without stops. On your drive down from Stowe you should stop at Texas Falls and if the road has reopened (it was washed out last November) then a trip over to Middlebury on route 125 via Hancock is well worth it. If you just drive from Stowe to Bennington I think you will not have enough time to see a few of the local vistas (Jenny Farm in South Woodstock) and also to stop in wonderful places like Weston & Chester.

A trip to Cape Cod will be worth it if you like wind swept beaches, with few people..... imagine Southport in the winter with less people living there.

Jackson is a great choice in New Hampshire and you cannot beat the Carter Notch Inn. The area is much more attractive with more individual character than North Conway.

If you need any more help for mid Vermont please just holla.....

You have picked a good time to come but do book your accommodation ahead as the first two weeks of October will be very busy and you are unlikely to get much choice of rooms if you just turn up.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New England in the Fall

Good call re: 2 nights in Stowe - it's one of our favorite local get-away towns. A couple of things while you're there:

The toll road up Mt. Mansfield is superb. A great way to see panoramic views and do a little walking/hiking without spending all day.

The Stowe rec path is a gem. Great to walk or rent bikes for a couple of hours. It's ~6 miles end to end, with excellent mountain and pastoral views along the way.

The Shed has some very nice beers & ales brewed on-site. I'm not a big fan of their food, but it's adequate.

Trattoria la Festa and Foxfire are 2 of our top restaurants there. Both have excellent Italian food and nice service & atmosphere.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New England in the Fall

Chatham is a much prettier choice than Yarmouth. A lot of the Cape will be shut down, though, but if the weather is sunny, it'll be a trip worth taking.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New England in the Fall

I think 2 days in Stowe and 2 in Bennington make sense. Another option in Southern Vermont is Manchester, they are different from each other. Compare for yourself.

7. Re: New England in the Fall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 20:35
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New England in the Fall

jrmichel

Whenever I see such glowing reports from newcomers, I start to smell day old fish. Looking at your posts since you started in July, it seems all roads lead to the Green Mountain Inn except for one which seems to lead to a sister inn. So, I am guessing you work there, are the manager, or whatever. That is not what this is about. If I am wrong, which I doubt, please correct me and let me know why you seem to only know about 1 Inn in Stowe. This is called cheating and gives you an unfair advantage over other lodging.

East Midlands UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New England in the Fall

Interesting to know!!! We have done a lot of research and have already booked all of our accommodation for our trip - we like very small B&B's and have managed to find what we hope are going to be little gems - we did look at the Green Mountain Inn but decided it was not right for us anyway - but good to know there are folk out there monitoring such things - thank you.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New England in the Fall

Well done JR! And Cuddley 53 (perhaps residing in Dudley???) do give us a Trip report when you return back to the old country.