We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fall foliage trip

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
fall foliage trip

Help with our trip to Vermont...

We will be driving from NY.

I am trying to figure out what 2-3 towns to stay in during our visit. (read Woodstock was nice)

Figured we would drive 4-5 hours after work Friday

then head North Saturday morning pick a town to visit for a few days and do day trips to other areas.

Then mid week head back south to a different area.

We did a similar trip to Maine last fall and totally loved it.

Any info would be great then I can start looking into accommodations (B&B's) while I have chance.

I hear this is peak foliage time.

All and any info will be put to great use.

Temarc

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fall foliage trip

Burlington, Stowe and Woodstock are 3 of the most-often recommended places for sightseeing. All are lovely towns. Burlington and Stowe have vibrant arts scenes, excellent rec paths and quite a few good restaurants. Burlington has tons of clubs and live music most nights as well. Stowe has great hiking on and around Mt Mansfield, the highest peak in the state.

I'd zip to Burlington (up the thruway to the 87 northway, then either take 149 to 4 to 22A to 7 to Burlington, or take the ferry from Port Kent directly to Burlington (a very pretty ride in the daylight). Spend a couple of days there, then go to Stowe and/or Woodstock for a day each. Then drive down I89 and perhaps I91 to New Hampshire and eventually back to NY.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fall foliage trip

Good evening Temarc,

DO visit Woodstock and you will not be disappointed. Do book NOW! This leaf peeping season seems to already be more popular than the last few years (I'm in the lodging business) for early bookings in the village so do check out www.woodstockvt.com the village web site for all your needs re- lodging/restaurants/things to see do.

Whatever you do use route 100 in the State as this will allow you see the sights and Texas Falls is a must! Woodstock has the Rockefeller Marsh Billings farm and museum, and access to the Mount Tom National Park. It is also a great village for walking around and has some wonderful eating places. Woodstock is also a great location to be based to see Chester, Grafton, Weston, Manchester and other great sights.

Any more information required please just shout.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fall foliage trip

Would agree with Chris and Liz's thoughts.

Might want to consider Manchester in southern Vermont where you could branch out to Weston, Dorset, Pawlet Arlington and Bennington. Look at the postings under the different Vermont forums to get an idea which each area might have to offer.

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fall foliage trip

Hi Chris Dave and Dave

Thanks for the info

We are only on vaca for a week so trying to decide on just 2 places to "stay" and the rest of the areas just drive too.

Have some New England / Vermont guide books and there is plenty of reading to do here

Temarc

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fall foliage trip

Woodstock Dave

You mentioned you were in the lodging business

Can you recommend a place in Woodstock area?

Thanks

6. Re: fall foliage trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2009, 07:33