We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mid august in southern vt

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mid august in southern vt

We have two girls, 11 and 14,and are considering a week in ski country in August. We like a variety of things -- canoeing, hiking, biking and day-tripping. We're not big on crowds. Have seen a few posts on the various southern resorts, but most seem to be a few years old. Any thoughts on which would be best? (Coming from Southeast PA) Ascutney? Bromley, Okemo?Stratton? Mount Snow? Magic Mountain? Would prefer to rent condo as opposed to hotel room...

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mid august in southern vt

Bromley, Magic and Stratton form a triangle.

Bromley has condo rentals of varying sizes. Bromley also has closest access to Mt Equinox in Manchester. Mt Equinox is the highest mountain in the Taconic range at 3848 feet with a couple of different trails to hike. Lye Brook Wilderness area is another place to hike and is between Bromley and Manchester. Manchester also has more amenities that might not found at any of the resorts themselves.

The Battenkill River in the Manchester area is a place to go canoeing and is famed for its flyfishing as well. Battenkill Canoe Ltd. in Arlington is a resource that can help you plan a trip on the river.

Bromley also has an adventure(not, amusement)park that might be fun. I think there is even deal between the condo rentals and access to the park.

Look at the Manchester, Vermont forum for more background on what the area has to offer. Yes there are outlets in Manchester but they are contained to 2 roads, the rest of Manchester has the rural feel

I believe you are seeking.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mid august in southern vt

Have to agree with davebvt. Bromley make a great base for everything you'd like to do. I would add that a day trip to Grout Pond http://www.grouthouse.com/groutpond.html in Stratton / Sunderland VT would be wonderful, easy hiking great swimming. Also check out Equinox Snow Tours http://vermontsnowmobile.com/default.asp they have just started offering summer related tours like rock climbing and white water rafting.

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mid august in southern vt

Thanks so much for the excellent info, vtmom13 and davebvt! I will check it all out. My husband would prefer to stay on site, and I'll look into all your to-do suggestions.

Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: mid august in southern vt

And having said that...we have an opportunity to rent a house for a week on a hilltop in Ludlow. However, the house is not air conditioned. Is that a problem in Vermont in August, even though the house is in the mountains?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mid august in southern vt

Usually this is not a problem., especially if you can deal with fans as an alternative. Putting a fan on a light timer while trying to get to sleep for a couple of hours is great. The fan turns off and you don't wake up in the morning with the fan still blasting you with then cooler air.

However, if hot weather is going to be a problem August is prime time for that...so it is hard to recommend pro or con.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mid august in southern vt

Usually this is not a problem., especially if you can deal with fans as an alternative. Putting a fan on a light timer while trying to get to sleep for a couple of hours is great. The fan turns off and you don't wake up in the morning with the fan still blasting you with then cooler air.

However, if hot weather is going to be a problem August is prime time for that...so it is hard to recommend pro or con.

Shaftsbury, Vermont
Level Contributor
740 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mid august in southern vt

Most of us get through the year here in Vermont without needing AC. However I will say that our hotest, most hummid weather comes in August.

8. Re: mid august in southern vt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2009, 06:16