We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

Looking ofr advice on where to stay in VT for 2 full days, 1 night for a young couple that likes to try new things and see different things.

We're coming from RI so the location shouldn't matter too much.

I don't know much about the state at all -- My understanding is that Burlington is very "New age"-ish and we're not, but like to be immersed in something like that -- Would like to be at least near a place where we can go out and see attractions -- wouldn't mind staying somewhere more quite though.

Like I said we're young, we're looking to be doing things: Hiking, Shopping, Site seeing, trying weird/different things, pretty scenary.

May be too broad! We're going July 10th & 11th

THANKS!!!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

If you are young Burlington is a great place to hang out. It is a college town and thus has youthful feel to it. The 400 anniversary celebration of the discovery of Lake Champlain by Samuel de Champlain will be going on then(jy 2-14)so it should be hopping, but also makes earlier lodging reservations something to consider. There should be some French influence in the events since that is where Champlain was from originally.

Hiking? Try Camel's Hump with access from Waterbury or Huntington, 30-45 minutes from Burlington.

Something different is Shelburne Museum, not your typical museum. It has 37 buildings including a light house, a round barn, a covered bridge and much more. Something to interest almost everyone.

Drive through the town of Stowe(Ben & Jerry's factory is on the way from Burlington as is Camel's Hump). Try the alpine slide at Stowe Ski resort (Spruce Peak) or drive up the mountain's toll road. Mt. Mansfield(Stowe ski resort is 2 mountains) is Vermont's tallest mountain.

And a real beautiful spot to drive thru is a mountain pass called Smuggler's Notch and is just a litte past Stowe.

So you might split this up; Hiking and Stowe one day, Burlington and Shelburne Museum the other day.

This works geographically speaking.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,594 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

Great input Dave. My only tweak would be substitute Mt. Mansfield for Camel's Hump. Mansfield has panoramic views from 1/2 way up, vs. Camels Hump having big views only for the top 300-400'.

If you'd like a moderate-challenging hike, then from Burlington, go NE to Underhill and start at the trailhead at the end of Stevensville Rd. There are several loops that can be done with great views, from 3hrs to all day.

If you want spectacular views without spending 1-2 hours getting there, then from Stowe drive up the toll road to the top of Mansfield. There's an easy 2.5 mile ridge trail, and many more challenging side trails (get a map in town). All have superb views west over Lake Champlain to the adirondak mts of NY.

For evenings in Burlington, wander around and stop in any clubs that suit your fancy. There are 2-3 places with live music or DJs most nights.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

How about any info on skeet shooting? Not even sure if that is how you spell it -- someone mentioned that they do this somewhere in VT -- any such places in the areas you guys suggested?

Neither myself nor my boyfriend have ever done this and I think it'd be fun, especially for him, to try! So are there such places where novices like ourselves and pay to shoot?

Thanks!!

4. Re: Where to stay in VT? - 1 night/2 days/young couple (7/10-11)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2009, 06:15