We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manchester and Brattleboro

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
Manchester and Brattleboro

A few years ago we spent a couple of summer days in Stowe and Woodstock and LOVED both places. We are going to have a few days the end of July and would love to go back to Vermont. Equinox hotel in Manchester has a $99 rate for our dates. Also, saw folks recommending the Palmer House in Manchester. Considering that or heading back up to Burlington as we only had lunch there and always said we would love to return. Also considering Brattleboro (Latchis hotel) for our way back to Berkshires. We don't like to spend an arm and a leg on hotels but do love to be walking distance to fun restaurants. Thanks for any suggestions!

NDG
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

I have stayed at the Latchis many times. It is really your only hotel in Brattleboro right downtown (there is at least one B&B close by, but pricey). The main advantage of the Latchis is its location, which is why I usually stay there when I'm in Brattleboro as I like to walk to go out too (I love the Flat Street Brewery right downstairs). Also they have a theater/cinema and often at the front desk they have discount promotions for movies (I always like seeing movies in the main theater, though old, is cool, with a ceiling painted with the signs of the zodiac). There is also a decent continental breakfast now in the lobby, and they even serve Mocha Joe's coffee, which to me is a big plus.

The main disadvantage of the Latchis, as anyone who has stayed there knows, is noise/lack of soundproofing. The hallways echo horribly and any time someone closes a door somewhere is always a big surprise. Ask for a room not facing the street; this is a big improvement.

Money saving tip for the Latchis - if you don't mind a room with 2 twin beds, you will save I think at least $20/night.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Thanks for the warning about the Latchis - we are ok with that. So, Brattleboro is a fun town then? Do you know if the Latchis charges for parking? Thanks for the help.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,202 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

I always stay with friends in Brattleboro, so can't help on the Latchis. But that rate at the Equinox is absolutely sensational. It's a great resort. I've done a few conferences there.

Have fun.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Thanks for the endorsement for the Equinox - I think we will go for it!

NDG
Level Contributor
312 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

The Latchis does not charge for parking. Their lot does seem too small to me for the size of the hotel, though I've only once had a problem, and that was this spring when I was checking in just 15 minutes prior to a special event at the Latchis Theater when a Nobel peace prize winner was talking there. There is additional municipal parking next to theirs, which I believe is also free overnight, but you would have to confirm with them.

I really like this area of Vermont (with excursions to western Mass. too) which is why I enjoy using Brattleboro as a base. It is not a tourist town like Stowe or Woodstock in any sense really, though, maybe closer in spirit to Burlington without the universities, if I had to make a comparison.

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Just to clarify: Brattleboro is not on the way from Manchester to the Berkshires. Bennington is however....I am not sure if you have the names of the towns mixed up b/c we are obsessed w/ names that start w/ "B" in Vermont!

If you are in Brattleboro on a Saturday, check out the farmer's market on Route 9 west of town - it's great!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

thanks for all the info - and for doublechecking the "B" city - yes, we were looking at Brattleboro but now I have run into a stumbling block with my free Southwest tickets so may be starting all over with a new trip plan.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Quick question regarding Equinox in Manchester, are there some good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (other than the ones actually in the hotel). We like casual, moderately priced "pub" style places. I am still a little nervous Equinox may be too fancy for us but getting a heck of a rate!

Thanks!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Ye Old Tavern is not a walk(okay a long, long walk) but is good and reasonable. Jonathon's Table in Arlington a little south is consistently good. Sirloin Saloon is a reasonable and good steakhouse with a great salad bar and hearty wheat?(it's brown!)bread that is very good. Dorset Inn has a pub and pub menu, but check whether is has gone downhill a bit with locals, it used to be good.

I agree the $99 rate is excellent. Where did you see the promo?

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
485 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manchester and Brattleboro

Equinox $99 was on Travelzoo and I think has to be booked by July 8 for Sun-Thu stay.

So it sounds like there is really nothing within walking distance? I was almost considering booking the Palmer House next to Ye Old Tavern as that has been recommended. Where is that Sirloin place?

Get answers to your questions about Vermont