We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

California
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

I am driving from montreal to Littleton, New Hampshire. Along the way we want to stay in Vermont and see the fall foilage. I am looking for lodging in the northern area of vermont. Any ideas?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

The driving time distance from Newport VT to Littleton NH is only 1:15 approximately (and Littleton is only 15 minutes from St. Johnsbury). Littleton can serve as a great home base for all your journeys around northeastern Vermont and northern New Hampshire, so I'm not sure you really need a hotel between Newport and St. Johnsbury.

What are the dates of your vacation? That will tell us more about where you're likely to find the best foliage colors.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

I would consider stopping over in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. They are just across the border from the Newport area. North Hatley is a nice area and Manor Hovey is supposed be amazing (have friends who stay there often and love it).

Don't forget to bring your passports!

Have a great time.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

That's a great suggestion.

There are two superb inns in North Hatley/Ayer's Cliff area:

www.ripplecove.com

www.manoirhovey.com

Both are pricey, but totally worth it.

California
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

We are going to be there September 29, 30 and October 1, 2 & 3.

thank you all for the good advise and the promptness of it.

Any other suggestions?

Southern VT
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

The Willoughvale Inn on Lake Willoughby might fit the bill. We stayed there a couple of years ago in July and it's in a great location!

vermont
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

There is a HAMPTON INN off of the hwy in St. J that is nice. Littleton is 60 miles from newport. We go there to shop. I would NOT suggest staying in Newport. There is also another hampton inn in Littleton as well..both are near the hwy exit. Visit the fall foliage just north of Littleton in the Franconia notch. visit http://www.nhstateparks.com/franconia.html

That website will help you too w/ lodging.

Lincoln, NH which is south of the notch as EXCELLENT lodging..this town has tons of ammneties..you can drive the Kangamangus hwy for spectacular views and water falls/gorges!

You can also visit crawford notch which is Rt.302 from the bethlehem exit, which is south of Littleton.

http://www.nhstateparks.com/crawford.html

also a great scenic drive w/ waterfalls and a state pk. the mtn wash hotel is there too! and other lodging..

have fun! we just got back fr camping at crawford notch and franconia notch..just beautiful.

saw a bear and a moose!

California
Level Contributor
11 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

Do you have any recommendations for lodging in Lincoln?

Thank you for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Burlington, Vermont
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

Hi Check out the Lake Seymour Lodge in Morgan Vermont. Great place with free boats available to use on the lake. I live in Morgan and enjoy the beauty there. Have a great trip

9. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2016, 17:30
Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging in between newport to St. Johnsbury

is seymore1946 and brianjoan one and the same person? the posting pattersn are suspicious?