We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Native American Schoolhouse.

Salop
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Native American Schoolhouse.

Last June my wife and myself were travelling by car from Sugar Hill, New Hampshire to Stockbridge, Mass (Norman Rockwell Museum). We travelled south along the Connecticut River Valley along the New Hampshire side of the river before crossing to join the Interstate 91 on the Vermont side, I think near Wilgus SP. Not certain!

Shortly after our joining the IS 91 we made a “comfort break” stop. Not far from the filling station/café was a tiny covered bridge alongside a single roomed schoolhouse.

The schoolhouse was staffed by a Vermont volunteer who told us a little of its history; it was built by Native Americans themselves in the 19c who wished to be educated the same way as the New Englanders.

I’ve mislaid my notes and I can’t remember where along the IS91 we stopped. We only stopped a few minutes (I was looking for a comfort stop) and I’d like to know more about it.

I’ve tried the Vermont State Park Service but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Native American Schoolhouse.

Is this it?

historicvermont.com/sites/html/eureka.html

Salop
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Native American Schoolhouse.

Yes! Yes!

Thank you! Thank you.

How stupid can I get... it's called Eureka!

It was a wonderful little spot. It brought back so many memories of my own schooldays in Ireland and that of my wife's here in Salop, England.

I'm putting to gether a photo journal book of our trip and needed the name.

Helful hint... never loose you travel notes.

Once again A huge Thank you!

3. Re: Native American Schoolhouse.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2010, 06:24