We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Would like to travel to Vermont in either mid/late Sept or late October and wondering if these are still good times to view the foliage in this region? It appears early October would be the best time based on these other forums, but that won't work for us.

Look forward to any comments

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

How late in October? The leaves in the immediate Champlain Valley usually peak the week after Columbus Day Weekend. Late September would probably be your best bet....you should look into staying in the northeastern part of the State (aka the Northeast Kingdom) as that is where the leaves generally start changing first.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Dizzyliz30,

Late September is not the best of your two preferred options. If you come late October you will still get colour (unless it has rained heavily) in the lower valleys and the mid to lower part of the State. If you can come in the 3rd week of October you should find enough sights to satisfy your camera, but you may have to ask locals for some more directions as some areas will be past there peak. Woodstock has had colour right into November before now, but the later you leave it the more unpredictable it is.

Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Thanks David(BigNose) and Vter.

We will have to figure out what schedule will work best for us. Late Sept would probably be ideal for my work schedule, I would be pushing it for the 3rd week of Oct, the 4th week (Oct 22nd) would easier to manage, but it looks like I could potentially miss the foliage depending on the weather.

Will keep thinking.. thanks again

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

I'd vote for late Sept. It does depend on where in the state you plan to go, and how this year's foliage develops. Things could be dead and gone by late Oct, or there could still be some decent color. I tend to prefer the early green + foliage over the later browns.

If you come early, you'll likely see some good color in the north and in the higher elevations. Stowe might be a nice home base. Enjoy!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

We're a little further south than Woodstock but I'd still say Late September would be the best bet. Foliage will not be a peak but there will be some spots of very pretty color - also there will likely be more to do (lots of harvest events waggon rides apple picking etc.), more affordable lodging and slightly warmer weather. Theres a chance it could be all over by late October - but the weather this year has been very unpredictable so who knows.

6. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 21:43
Wilmington Delaware
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I will consider the recommendations

8. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2016, 17:30
Burlington, Vermont
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

Hi Late September is the best. Newport Vt is having a large city yard sale in the park and that will be interesting on Sept 26th for the anitque collectible and yard seller people. I live in Morgan Vt and the rt 111 that I live on is gorgeous Espcecially with Lake Seymour as the colors on the mountain here are reflected in the lake plus there is free kayate use at the local inn on Lake Seymour so you can go out on the lake and enjoy it.

10. Re: Is late Oct or late Sept better for foliage in Vermont

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 00:35