We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

Hi, we are flying into Boston on late night 10/15, leaving 10/19 8PM, we are coming for the fall color , need advise on which part of Vermount to visit? after some reaserch from this forum, we have pre-planned our route to be Boston-white mountain area NH -Burlington VT-Woodstock VT -Boston, stay one night each at the area listed. can someone please advise if it's too late in this areas for the foliage? If yes, where do you suggest us to spend the 4 days? thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Camel's Hump
Mountains, State Parks
Snake Mountain Trail
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hiking Trails
Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

The Burlington area and the surround Champlain Valley will probably be your best bet for Vermont at those dates. Foliage here usually peaks a week or so after Columbus Day. It will most likely be too late for the White Mountains and Woodstock will probably have some "late" color which I find pretty.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

I think Vter is right. Probably too late for White Mountains. Would shift to Boston-Woodstock-Burlington 2 nights this is central for the following places below: you could go to the islands(so hero./ grand isle) / stowe-waterbury-montpelier/ shelburne-middlebury, then back to Boston.

2 nights in one place also means less packing and unpacking ..checking in and out-- more time to enjoy the area.

Better make reservations soon, perhaps.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

thank you so much for your reply, I was thinking we are too late for Burlington area as it is in the most north part of our plan. Surprise to find that Woodstock leaves peak prior to Burlington area. In this case, we might plan to base all 3 nights in Burlington and do drive around.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

Thanks, Dave, we crossed each other's post. and Yes, I will book 2 night in Burling and day tour the area including stowe and woodstock, that way I have one full day in Bosston.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

In simple terms(my speed) leaves turn based on declining temperatures. Burlington's climate is modified by Lake Champlain and thus warmer than areas inland and to the south of Burlington. Another factor is elevation(again temperature related) and again Burlington is at a lower elevation than many other areas as well.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Champlain
Lake Champlain
78 Reviews
Vermont
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
84 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

thanks for the educational information on the leaves, now I know why Burlington leaves peak later than other area!

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: 10/16-10/19 is it too late for Vermount Fall foliage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 07:18