We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

Hi. We're planning a 4-5 day road trip starting in NYC, making a circle through:

STAMFORD & Providence

BOSTON

CONCORD, NH

WOODSTOCK, VT

BURLINGTON, VT

THROUGH ADIRONDAK

back to NYC

Hoping to see a bit of these cities/sites (just a drive-thru or an hour stop/walk to get the flavor)but mostly want to see the leaves of course, being from S.F. where we have NO seasons.

I know it's ambitious, but is it doable? Any suggestions from the Trip Advisor community. Something we shouldn't miss or something we should leave out? We know we'll spend majority of our time in the car, but we'll have my mo-in-law with us, so that's OK.

Much appreciated!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

NYC to Stamford to Providence is 4 hours or so.

Providence to Boston is 2 to 3 hours in rush hour traffic, 1 hour if there's no traffic.

Boston to Concord is 1 hour in no traffic, 2 to 3 hours in rush hour PM traffic.

Concord to Woodstock is a bit more than 1 hour.

Woodstock to Burlington is 90 minutes.

Burlington to the NY side of Lake Champlain down I-87 is an hour via the Port Kent ferry (if it is still running when you visit, shuts down for the year in early to mid October), or take the Grand Isle or Essex ferries north or south of Burlington.

I-87 from Plattsburgh NY to NYC is 5+ hours.

Yes, it's doable.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

I would think if one takes the ferry; waiting in line, getting on and off, will add time to the trip to NYC, would calculate 6+ hours. If you go north to the Grand Isle ferry add another hour. Another ferry is the Charlotte VT to Essex NY ferry(to the south of Burlington) which I think stays open longer than the Burlington ferry, if it should be shut down.

Depending on when you are coming, you should be booking rooms pronto for Vermont and New Hampshire.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

My apologies. Did not see that Sign had broken the Burlington to New York City into 2 segments. Sorry.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

There are several easy ways to get from Burlington to NYC and all are ~6 hours. The fastest is driving south on 7 to 22A to 4 to west 149 to I87. The ferrys at Burlington and Charlotte are scenic and fun. The bridge at Crown Point is also nice, though it's under repair now and reduced to 1 lane. When are you visiting?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
78 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

HI all...thanks for the info. We're planning to be on the road by Oct. 4th and drive up & back by Oct. 7th or 8th. It's all the time we have.

Though I'd rather do some hiking along the way & go at a more relaxed pace, it's better than nothing I guess. Mother-in-law can't walk too far, so I've accepted that for my 1st time in this part of the country, it won't be an ideal trip. But we'll make the best of it.

I am hoping we'll catch sight of some leaves changing & other beautiful sights - covered bridges perhaps?

Again thanks for the info & if you can think of anything along our route that we should see, please let me know (or things we should NOT see!!)

6. Re: 4-5 day Road Trip: NY, Boston, Burlington, Andirondak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 06:22