We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Pensacola, Florida
7 posts
Save Topic
Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Wonderful forum with helpful experts! I'm sure you get tired of newbies like me, but I really covet your fall foliage advice.

My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary with a NE trip from Oct 10-18. We're from Florida and ignorant to all things New England. My wife has never seen fall foliage, sans a couple peak days in Williamsburg VA over twenty years ago.

We'll be arriving in Portland, ME @ 3:30pm on Oct 10th. Our general plan was to hang out in Portland for the evening of the 10th and drive up to a coastal town (Boothbay?) to hang out on the 11th. (I really think we'd enjoy a day on the coast.)

We then plan to drive up to the White Mtns on the morning of Oct 12th. We were thinking of staying in Jackson NH on the 12th and 13th and explore the White Mtns area on the 12th, 13th, and morning of the 14th. After some research, I realize we will probably be missing peak in the mountains :-(

On the afternoon of Oct 14th, we will be driving down to Woodstock, VT and spending three nights there (already have these reservations). I thought I might reserve the 15th to drive north up RT 100 to explore mid and northern VT. I'm thinking about staying put on the 16th to enjoy Woodstock on foot. We were thinking we'd explore southern VT and NH on the 17th culminating with the Keene Pumpkin Festival.

I'd really appreciate any of your expert advice on how to maximize our trip. Our main interests are breathtaking foliage, local festivals (although it look's like most will be over), quaint villages, biking, walks/hikes, mountain chairlift/gondola rides, apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and general relaxation.

Thanks in advance for any of your input -- we're quite excited to experience first hand what I've read so much about.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Sounds like a nice itinerary. As you head south to Keene, towns to look at for ideas in the TA forum might be Grafton, Brattleboro, Rockingham, Chester and Plymouth. Look under "Things to do" in each town. Google "Vermont Pumpkins", "Vermont Apples" for websites to go see pumpkin patches and apple orchards. Ck Mt. Mansfield/Stowe to see if there is a Chairlift ride or Killington might be another possibility.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Stowe would be on a northern jaunt from Woodstock. Killington would be to your south and could possibly be done the day you head to Keene.

Pensacola, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Thanks for the input Dave! This will give me a great starting point for research.

4. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2016, 17:30
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

Near Woodstock, worth a look in Quechee is Quechee gorge and Simon Pearce Glass Blowers, artisan production and beautiful product in an old mill with a nice restaurant overlooking dam/waterfall.

6. Re: Oct 10-18 itinerary advice for Florida newbies needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 07:20