We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

Germany
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

My husband and I (37 and 41) are already excited about our first New England-trip

We will be arriving at Boston airport on 28th of Sept and leaving on the 15th of Oct.

Although I have studied this and other travel-boards extensively, we are still hoping to find

out about some Must-Do's and Must-See's we still haven't wrote down so far. Also if you

can recommend which road to drive that would be very nice. We are looking forward

to see the foliage, covered bridges, hopefully a moose, antique shops and general stores and

christmas stores.

Beside beautiful b&b's we have booked the Hotel Marlowe in Cambridge and a farm in central Vermont.

Any idea will be highly appreciated.

This is the tour:

3 nights in Cambridge, MA (Freedom trail, Tickets for RedSox-game, Harvard University, maybe Duck Tour)

1 night in Hadley, MA (quick side trip for the Big E, which we would love to attend)

scenery-drive from Gloucester to Rockport

1 night in Ogunquit, ME (marginal way)

Kittery, Freeport, Desert of Maine, Stonewall kitchen-store

2 nights in Boothbay Harbor, ME

2 nights in Conway, NH (Kancamagus Highway, drive to the place where "on Golden Pond" was filmed)

2 nights in Rochester, VT (Burlington)

1 night in Taftsville, VT (Woodstock)

1 night still up in the air

2 nights in Thompson, CT (Yankee-Candle-main-store, Sturbridge Village)

Mystic Seaport

2 nights in Newport, RI (the mansions, Cliff Walk, Ocean Drive)

Plimouth Plantation

Anything we can put in?

Thanks in advance

Gabriele

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

That's a wonderful itinerary, but it is also a lot of driving.

I presume you are staying at Liberty Hill Farm in Rochester, and if so, that's a great choice. Beth Kennett and her family are just wonderful, and the area is really beautiful.

Burlington is nearly a 90-minute drive from Rochester....so be forewarned. From Rochester, I'd drive over Rt. 125 over the mountain to Middlebury, you'll pass the famous poet Robert Frost's retreat on the way.

And of course, I trust that you already have your rooms reserved, as that is peak season.

Haben Sie einen glücklichen Urlaub!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

Cambridge, Gloucester, and Rockport are all on the east side of Massachusetts. Hadley is on the West side a couple of hours away. You'd be backtracking to get to Maine. Hadley makes more sense between your travels from Vermont to Connecticut. It would be pretty much en route. I just don't know when the Big E is to fit in with your plans.

Rochester is not near Burlington. It is an hour away at least. Shelburne or Vergennes are outside of Burlington 15 and 30 minutes away, respectively, if you want a smaller town to stay in near Burlington.

Germany
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

Thanks for your answer, yes I know Hadley is far from the coast and it makes no sense to put it at the beginning of the trip. But the reason is that the fair, which we want to attend there, ends on that weekend. So we had no other choice.

In Rochester we stay 2 nights on a farm, and we would like to make a day trip from there to Burlington

4. Re: A german couple wants to become leaf-peepers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 04:20