We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vermont in the summer - worth it?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
150 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vermont in the summer - worth it?

We are planning to take a 5 day trip midway between visits to NYC and Boston at the beginning and end of our summer vacation in June/July. We have discounted Cape Cod for various reasons. We are still considering mid-coast Maine but have yet to find the right accommodation in the right place which would suit us and our 16 year old. I have been distracted from my Maine search by Vermont, specifically Woodstock. But is it worth going to Vermont in the summer as it seems to be THE place to go in the Winter and the Fall? Opinions, please.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

Mon32 in the home the Tattoo....

Sure is worth coming anytime of year! I loved it so much I moved from the UK 5 years ago and set up a lodging business here. In the early summer you hike, bike, fish, paddle, even go mountain biking down the ski slopes at Killington (Madness in my book!) so do check out the village website at www.woodstockvt.com. If you want to sup ale, eat good food, view crafts...yadda yadda you should find enough to entertain all of you. Mid Coast Maine is also wonderful but will be busy and your choice really depends upon what you want to do in your five days? New York is 5 hours drive away and Boston a little over 2. I think your 16 year old would like either place as long as they like some outdoor activities....but what do you like to do?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
150 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

Bike, kayak, a couple of day trips within an hour or so, not really into hiking as such but we want to chillax generally. The town itself is important and Woodstock looks as though it could be fairly upmarket and traditional without being twee (if that's word you use in the US!) Looking for cool cafes and informal restaurants - not fine dining. And somewhere that has a mix of age groups. I'm very fussy when it comes to accommodation. I don't want Victorian cliches but that doesn't mean I don't like character and a mix of old and new put together tastefully. In Scotland there are loads of B & B places that overkill on tartan and my impression is that a lot of inns in New England do likewise but with Victoriana...we want to avoid that.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,109 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

YES!!! Summer in the mountains of NH, VT or ME are (is?) a great place to be. Lots going on from fairs to summer stock.

I spent many summer weeks at Stratton Mtn from which my family explored many areas of Vt as well as enjoyed all the stuff going on at the mountain such as free concerts.

Hope this helps.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

Vermont is a great summer destination. Our temps are usually warm, but not overly humid, as it is likely to be south of Vermont. (One reason I chose to move here). It sounds like you are looking for something a little more informal than Woodstock. You might look into Montpelier, Waterbury/ Waterbury Ctr, Burlington and Brattleboro. Brattleboro is in the SE corner of Vermont about an hour+ south of Woodstock.. The other 3 places are north and west of Woodstock by an hour, to an hour and a half.

Edited: 01 February 2010, 20:19
5. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 17:29
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

Well Mon32,

I don't disagree with the suggestions on Burlington and Brattleboro, both places have life and both places can be arrived at within 2 hours of leaving Woodstock. I think Montpelier and Waterbury may be too small and traditional. As much as Woodstock village is often thought to be a 'living museum' there are some very contemporary and refreshing lodging and dining options where a 'chillaxed' 21st century vibe exists. Take it from me that not all the folks who live and work here wish to die here, and a few of us have travelled and imported 'foreign' ideas...much to the horror of some of the locals!

The village is great for biking and Bike Vermont are based here, there are many lakes to paddle around with Silver Lake in Barnard being one of my favourites. The village is not too twee and within 30 minutes you are in a lively place like Hanover NH where Dartmouth college is. There are some great gastropubs (Skunk Hollow Tavern, Max's Tavern @ the Barnard Inn, Norwich Tavern, the LongTrail Brewery and the Harpoon brewery) within 30 minutes drive and are not fine dining. Check out Simon Pearce in Quechee which has an urban vibe to it's restaurant.

You should avoid Scotland by the Yard in Quechee (well the village does have a highland games every year!) as you will feel as if you are back in Fort William at the Edinburgh Woolen Mill! That said I've bought some brilliant sweaters from them cheaper than I could get them in Edinbugh!

You should take a day trip to Lake Champlian and maybe even do a boat trip? I could go on....and would be happy to assist you in personalising your stay with everything except lodging in the village, as I co-own an inn. However if you do check the village website you will find many fine establishments at all price ranges...and styles.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

I'd 2nd Burlington as a nice destination for mon32. Kayaking aplenty on the very pretty (and large) Lake Champlain. Lots of biking on the rec path along the lake - and a spectacular couple of miles out into the lake along the Colchester causeway, a few miles north of Burlington (and contiguous with the BTV rec path). Excellent restaurants, live music, performing arts, small galleries, etc..

8. Re: Vermont in the summer - worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 07:18