We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking mount mansfield

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
hiking mount mansfield

Hi,

whats the typical earliest date (roughly) that its possible to hike to top of mansfield?

thanks a million

1. Re: hiking mount mansfield

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2010, 13:55
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking mount mansfield

The trails open on Memorial Day. They're closed during mud season in the spring to prevent damage and erosion.

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking mount mansfield

Thanks for the replies guys.

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking mount mansfield

Hi,

just checking in. Thinking of doing the hike this memorial weekend ..... how are the conditions? are the trails officially open?

Suggestions for best parking / starting point ........ budget accommodation in the area.

Thanks so much.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking mount mansfield

The Mountain is wide and can be accessed from many sides. There are a multitude of trails on Mt Mansfield that range from moderate to extreme difficulty. What is your fitness level?

You can check out some of them on the green mountain club website

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking mount mansfield

Ditto the above. There are ~35 trails on Mt. Mansfield. Conditions should be good and the trails will be open. My favorite trails are from Underhill on the west side - from the trailhead at the end of Stevensville Road.

Define 'budget accommodations'. Motel 6 in Colchester is among the cheaper. The Anchorage Motor Inn in S. Burlington has also been sorta reasonable. Then there's the Midtown Motel - a dive, but cheap and right in downtown Burlington.

NYC
Level Contributor
637 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking mount mansfield

Thanks so much ........... but we're back! :)

We stayed in Stowe at the Alpenrose ...... cheap, very basic, 70's decor! ... didn't turn on the TV, but I think it might be black & white lol ....... but it was very clean, and a good location ....... so good decision.

We hiked the Long Trail and have to admit, that the final summit is a little daunting .... that last scramble over the rock face!! So we took the Profanity trail back down til it met up with the Long Trail.

We had a great time .... weather was great, and the place not crowded at all, surprised that road traffic was so light.

Definitely recommend visiting ...... loads to do up there.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hiking mount mansfield

I had a melt down on that final rock climb, but did eventually make it. (I'm afraid of heights and husband now knows it)

Glad you had a good time.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,761 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hiking mount mansfield

Agreed. The Long Trail up Mansfield isn't a fav, though the top has some superb views. Lots of work and not much for spectacular views on the way up. It does make a great descent leg for a loop of Hell Brook up, Long Trail down, then a relaxing 1 mile road walk back to the Hell Brook trailhead.

Kudos for making it & glad you enjoyed.

Toronto
Level Contributor
368 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hiking mount mansfield

FYI, I climbed Mt. Mansfield in summer years back. We started the climb on a typical warm summer day. By the time we got to the top you'd think it was the middle of winter. There were large hail stones and visibility was poor. Noone was properly equipped. Luckily, I had an extra pair of socks which doubled as gloves. It was crazy and exhilerating all at the same time, so pack right...just in case.