We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

Paris
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

Hi,

I am landing in Boston on July, 24th for a 3 weeks long roadtrip along the East Coast... I have to end my drive in North Carolina, I was initially about to spend a couple of days in Boston then drive to NYC for another stop and then drive into the wild to reach NC...

Talking in another forum about my interests in natural outdoors, I have been advised to take into consideration a side trip from Boston in Vermont... As far as I have time... Why not! ;-)

I have just had a look at the map, Vermont seems great!...

Burlington, Plattsburgh (what is the easiest way to reach Plattsburgh from Burlington? Any boat?) then natural surroundings (lakes, forests, peaks) along I 87 (west side) down to NYC...

Have you any advise regarding a pleasant way to accomodate along the trip?

I assume that should be a lot of camps or whatever... I am going to travel alone, so the more people I meet the better... I am not really interested in a room in an hotel! lol ;-)

It seems there are a lot of "natural" spots along I 87 (west side) too many to pass by all of them actually... If you could let me know which I have to focus on, I would be really grateful... (High Peaks, West Canada Lake, Silver Lake...)

Many thanks in advacne for your useful comments!

Please share any idea which possibly comes over according to such a drive!

Mat

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

There are several ferries that operate between Vermont and NY on Lake Champlain. In Burlington, the "Port Kent" ferry is a beautiful one-hour journey across the broadest part of the lake, highly recommended, though it is not inexpensive.

http://www.ferries.com/

Less expensive, about 25 miles north of Burlington, is the "Grand Isle" ferry, which empties just 2 miles from Plattsburgh.

I-87 is a beautiful piece of highway cutting through the mountains, especially through the High Peaks area. It becomes much less interesting as you approach Albany.

You can find information about camping in Vermont and New York state parks at http://www.vtstateparks.com/ and http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,462 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

Agree w/ SOTT above. Both ferries are nice. I like the Grand Isle -> Plattsburg one since it's quick and it's a nice drive from Burlington up to Grand Isle. Driving up from Boston through Vermont is very pretty as well. I-89 is the main highway in Vermont, and is very scenic with rolling fields, small mountains and a few little towns.

For a small (1 hour) detour that's extra scenic, you might exit I-89 in Waterbury (about 40 miles before Burlington), go north on Rt. 100 to the town of Stowe, then take Rt. 108 up and over Smuggler's Notch. There are some pretty cliffs on either side and a couple of small roadside waterfalls. You can then retrace your route back to I-89, or take Rt. 15 back toward Burlington.

In Stowe, there is also the spectacular toll road up Mt. Mansfield - great to do if you want to add another hour for the drive up/down and a little hiking time at the top with superb photo opportunities.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

If I had my druthers, instead of crossing to plattsburgh and taking the highway all the way to NYC, I would consider taking Vt 100 S

to Winhall/Jamaica, heading down to Manchester, taking 7 (high speed) or 7A (more bucolic but its only 25 miles to Bennington)

and then either crossing over to the taconic to NYC or heading to Albany and then taking 87 S.

This will be much more fun than seeing the mountains at 75 mph.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

neslaw1's recommendation to take Rt. 100 in Vermont instead of I-87 in NY is a good one if you don't mind a slower drive, it certainly is a beautiful drive, among the best that Vermont has to offer.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

Is there a reason to cross over to Plattsburgh? I would take the Grand Isle ferry if you need to cross over, driving thru the islands area is nice and a shorter less costly ferry ride which puts you near Plattsburgh.

I agree with "Sign" that "Neslaw's" route is much more scenic and in line with what you are looking for. If you are not too rushed I' d take a couple of days to get to New York City from Burlington instead of rushing to drive it all in one day.

There is a campground right in Burlington with a beach a mile from the downtown area run by the Parks and Recreation Department of Burlington.

6. Re: Driving from Plattsburgh to NYC along I 87 - Late July 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 06:18