We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location Advice please?

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Location Advice please?

Canadians, thinking of using a week of our Interval timeshare in Vermont in September. We have 5 locations to choose from. Can anyone give us some suggestions which would be best area to stay? We like to poke around in little towns and villages - maybe do some gentle hiking. I know there's a wine festival near West Dover in September which would interest us but not sure it's a good location to do other day trips. Our choices are West Dover, Stowe, Killington, Waitsfield and Brownsville. Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location Advice please?

If I had to pick one, then Stowe. But, if I had to exclude one, it would be Killington (unless I was skiing). The other areas would all be just fine for day trips with plenty to do.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location Advice please?

Agreed. Stowe would be my choice too: A handful of decent restaurants, nice artsy places, great hiking and driving scenery, and possibly a little foliage depending on when in Sept.

No skiing to be had in Sept, so Killington is out of the mix. Personally, any wines from our region wouldn't be a major draw... fun to taste, but not worth planning a trip around. Waitsfield hasn't made an impression and Brownsville is unfamiliar to moi.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location Advice please?

Thanks! Following your advice - I have 3 places to choose from - Mountainside Resort at Stowe, Trapp Family Guest Houses or The Villas at Trapp Family Lodge (assume last two are in same place, just different parts of the resort??)...any recommendations of which to choose as 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices? Appreciate your input.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,068 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location Advice please?

Sorry have not stayed at these places, but I am sure there are reviews on RCI. Here is the review page from TA

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g57415-d100122-…

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,881 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location Advice please?

Sounds like 3 of the highest-end places. There will be plenty of reviews to be had on TA and other sites. There are many other nice places that are probably half to 2/3 the price worth considering if cost is a factor.

For gentle hiking, be sure to check out the rec path - a very pleasant stroll (or bike) with great views and photo spots. There is also a spectacular (easy) trail along the ridge at the top of Mt. Mansfield from the toll road north... with some of the best views in the state IMHO.

toronto
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location Advice please?

Since we're at a timeshare, we just have the Von Trapp Guest Houses and the Mountainside Resort to choose from. First hand, recent recommendations would be great..anyone? Thx.

7. Re: Location Advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 07:27