We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

We will be staying 3 nights at a B&B in Castleton and 2 nights in a B&B in Fairfax. We would like to do short day trips with not too much driving from these home bases. We are seniors. Any suggestions for day trips lasting 3-4 hours at most from Castleton and Fairfax?. Also suggestions for modest dining would be appreciated.

Thank you

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

From Fairfax, take Rt. 15 into Jeffersonville, to Rt. 108 through Smuggler's Notch on to Stowe. From there, you can either circle back to Fairfax via Rt. 100 on the northern side, or on to Waterbury and back up to the Burlington area on I-89. Lots to see and do with that itinerary.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
626 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

check out Wilson Castle in Proctor as well as the VT Marble Exhibit in Proctor. Head toward Middlebury on the back roads past Lake Bomoseen....visit the college..beautiful campus, cute town. Head back over the Brandon Gap and follow your map toward Killington and the down Route 4 into Rutland. Or if that is too much driving head toward Middlebury on the back road, then back to Rutland on route 7 passing through the town of Brandon and into Rutland. Have lunch in Middlebury...many choices. Just watch out for graduation weekend May 23 I believe.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

Agree w/ SignOTT... Smugglers' Notch is excellent and scenic. The Mt. Mansfield toll road is superb, with great views of the lake and Adirondaks in NY.

Going northwest to the lake is also nice. Burton Island state park and several other places along Lake Champlain are great for sunset scenery and daytime recreation.

Jensen Beach...
Level Contributor
123 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

Thanks to all 3 of you for your suggestions. I am using my highlighter on my map based on your suggestions.

One question - I cannot locate a Mt. Mansfield toll road - old eyes! Can you help me locate.

I am hoping I also get some suggestions regarding Canton, NY area and suggestions from there to Lake Placid.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

The Toll road is not a public road, so it is not on a lot of maps. My recollection is the road starts shortly before getting to the ski resort on the left side if coming from the village of Stowe. There should be signing to id the turn off from Mountain Rd., and locals would certainly be able to direct you easily.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,855 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

True. It's before the Stowe ski resort on the west side of Rt. 108, about 4-5 miles north of Rt. 100.

7. Re: Suggested Itineraries from Castleton and Fairfax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2010, 04:16