We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guaranteed snow for a christmas vacation

florida
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
guaranteed snow for a christmas vacation

I've lived in the US for ten years now (Orlando to be precise) as an ex-pat Aussie, and just once before I eventually return to my homeland I'd like to experience a white Christmas - I know our two kids would revel in the experience! I come from a a country that's had all the European traditions of Christmas thrust onto a landscape where Christmas temperatures are often in the 90's and up, where people ludicrously spray fake snow onto their windows in the midst of such blazing heat, and where incongruous plastic Santa's and reindeer sag softly on front lawns under the wilting ministrations of the summer sun. Not exactly conducive to getting into the spirit of all those European traditions of Christmas as a wintry celebration - try hard as we might!

So living in the States has presented us with an opportunity to finally get to see what it's like to celebrate Christmas in the snow, or even a cold winter for that matter - winter in Orlando doesn't really set the bells ringing as far as cold temperatures are concerned!

I've asked around, and a few friends have said that we'd stand a decent chance of snow in West Virginia's high country during Christmas, but the more I look into it the more it seems a hit and miss affair. So it seems we have to go further afield to try and guarantee the snow, and all I've gleaned so far is that Vermont is the place to go as far as the eastern side of the U.S. is concerned.

That being said, can anyone recommend a decent place where we could stay in Vermont for 4 - 5 days that wouldn't break the bank? I'd guess the area, with all its Rockwellian associations of Christmas, must be quite popular at that time of year, right?

Personally I'd love a little cabin in some out of the way spot, but my Ohio-born wife (she's lived in Florida since she was a kid though) says I'm deluding myself and that we'd probably find it hard to get into or out of such a place at that time of year. So maybe some kind of little inn or appropriate hotel might be in order? I don't know anything about the area, so any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

Edited: 17 June 2010, 22:46
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guaranteed snow for a christmas vacation

G'day Timbo59,

Well you have a fair chance of snow...but if you want 100% certainty go to the Rockies. 2 years ago Woodstock VT had tons of the stuff for Christmas and last year we had but a covering.....If you still want to come then you'll find a small inn or a cabin easy to rent.....for Woodstock village check out www.woodstockvt.com and for Vermont www.vermontvacation.com.

Mentioned in this post
Woodstock
Woodstock
Vermont
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: guaranteed snow for a christmas vacation

Agreed.... you won't get 100% certainty of snow, though probably 8-9 out of 10 Christmases are white. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine all have similar chances of snow, more in the mountains, less in the valleys. The Adirondaks in northern NY and much of western NY also tend to be quite snowy. A couple of other VT towns to consider would be Stowe, Craftsbury, and perhaps the area around Lake Willoughby.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Maine
Maine
United States
Stowe
Stowe
Vermont
Lake Willoughby
Lake Willoughby
124 Reviews
East Burke, VT
3. Re: guaranteed snow for a christmas vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2010, 09:06