We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

We are planning a 3-4 days stay in Vermont at the end of August. Looking for a romantic (married couple in late 30s), relaxing getaway with quality service, nice accomodations, good food and proximity to a charming, historic town. We enjoy strolling down the streets, visiting galleries and boutiques. This will be out first time in VT, so don't know what to make from seemingly good deals at travelzoo and luxurylink. Some of the properties we were looking at include Inns at Equinox and Essex Resort and Spa.

We would appreciate your suggestions!

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

may i suggest three great resources?

1. Start by researching the Vermont communities you want to be by looking at www.vermontvacation.com

2. Then find the Hotel or Inn by looking at BedandBreakfast.com

3. The check out the establishments rating on Tripadvisor.com

best of Luck....VT is a Fantastic Place !

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

I would scratch off the Essex. It's in suburbia...just across the road from an outlet mall. Not quaint and condusive to strolling at all.

The Equinox would be a good choice. That part of Manchester is beautiful and away from the hustle and bustle of the outlet shopping area.

The Rabbit Hill Inn is very highly rated and is in a beautiful area of Vermont. It's in a very small, quiet village. Not much there but beautiful scenery and peace and quiet.

The Middlebury Inn would be another option. There is a spa on site. It's right in downtown Middlebury so you can walk to the shops/restaurants.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

Hi itravelny,

As has been suggested by InnVic hit the search engines, but you may find different choices between mega hotel complexes like the new development at Stowe and smaller more personal facilities.

I agree scratch Essex. If price is no option consider Twin Farms in Barnard or the Pitcher Inn located in Warren who will give you most of what you seek.

Woodstock gives you have some of the items you request and is top of the pile for Historic village and beauty, galleries and being able to walk everywhere but the area may not offer you enough of the lodging indulgence you seek....however check it out at www.woodstockvt.com.

ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

I appreciate all the replies! Thanks to your recommendations, I have a great starting point. I'll have to research a little further and may come back with more questions.

Chesapeake, VA
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

Not sure what resort the other posters are thinking of, but The Essex is not in suburbia. We were just there a few weeks ago, and it's surrounded by wilderness. There's all kinds of hiking trails, gardens, and a really nice spa. Super romantic-- even though we were there with our young son.

I've heard good things about The Pitcher Inn, too, but haven't stayed there.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,229 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

Well..I would consider an outlet shopping mall and a large housing development adjacent to The Essex to be suburbia...Vermont style I guess.

Aerial photo:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=The+Essex+Resort+%26+Spa,+Essex+Junction,+VT&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.724817,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=The+Essex+Resort+%26+Spa,&hnear=Essex+Junction,+Chittenden,+Vermont&ll=44.502811,-73.075991&spn=0.015273,0.038581&t=h&z=15

Edited: 21 September 2010, 23:31
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

Agreed. Definitely suburbia by our local standards. It's about 5 blocks from the large strip mall of outlet stores. True, it's bounded by empty land, so the immediate vicinity is nice looking.

Swanton, Vermont
Level Contributor
24 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

The Rabbit hill inn is the highest rated in the state, and very romantic. I am sure they have a masseuse they can call to your room. I myself own a bed and breakfast in Montgomery Center, but we do not have a spa, just a masseuse down the street. I have heard many good comments about the spa at Jay Peak Resort as well. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!!! Jay

9. Re: Looking for a romantic hotel/spa in Vermont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2011, 05:19