We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

i found a hotel i wanted to stay at. The website stated rates were $69-$99. There was no option to view which rates applied to which days. There was an online form to fill out. i filled out the form which asked for dates and payment info. i assumed i would get an email giving me the rates and option to book. However the email i got back was confirming that i booked the rooms at the highest rate. Is this normal practice for a non chain hotel? i was surprised the hotel didn't list the rates per season or events etc on the site. i like to search around for a good hotel at a good price.

Any insight into this? The hotel looks ok, i just wonder if i could get it for a lower price if i had known the rate season.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

No. Give them a call and confirm the rate and any other details (or cancel if needed). That's not the norm and it sounds pretty amateur re: their booking response.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
119 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

Ok, thanks. Yes, i've booked with many hotels before and just never cam across this. i'll give them a call. Thanks again.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

Chrisy520,

Chris & Liz are 100% correct...as an Innkeeper I QUOTE a price which you the client confirm...and then I take a deposit. The only exception for internet charging I know about as a consumer, is if it CLEARLY states (like Amazon etc..) you will now be charged. Sounds like bad practice to me......

4. Re: Room booked before rates confirmed: Is this normal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 07:17