We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
London
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Help with fall 2011 trip

Hi

We are just starting to plan a trip to Vermont for next year with the objective of viewing the fall folliage. We want to stay in self-catering accommodation and base ourselves in 2 locations - a week in north VT followed by a week in the south. We want to be based in a peaceful rural area with facilities (for food shopping, restaurants) not to far away. Please can anyone help with the following questions:

1. Timing. Should we aim for the last week in Sep for northern VT followed by southern VT first week of October? (or move it back a week)

2. Location. Where would be good base locations to do short day trips for leaf peeping?

3. Booking self-catering - which is the best website for booking accomodation? I notice TripAdvisor now has vacation rentals but only for a year in advance to unable to book anything for Oct 2011

Many thanks in avance

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

Your timing is likely too early.

I'd suggest the first 2 weeks of October instead.

Since you're splitting this into a northern/southern visit, just about any place in the center of the state affords easy, relatively short-drive day trips, because Vermont isn't very big geographically.

Edited: 29 August 2010, 14:32
Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,677 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

Depending on how large a town you want to stay in and what specific services you want nearby, there are a bunch of options. Craftsbury could be a good base if you'd like a very small town in a more remote area of the state. Underhill, Jeffersonville or Cambridge would be small towns which are closer to Stowe and Burlington, where you'd have more shopping, restaurants, pubs, etc.. Stowe itself is a great mountain town, as is Woodstock. Burlington is superb as a home base as well, with mountain and lake-side scenery near by.

SOTT is right - you're timeframe is too early for peak foliage - even in most of northern VT. Most of the northern mountains generally peak in mid-late Sept. Burlington and the southern parts of the state usually peak 2-3 weeks later. If your travel dates are fixed, then you'll probably want to focus on the higher elevations in the northern part of the state, where you'll probably have some decent color.... Stowe might be a good option as an example, or the area around Lake Willoughby.

The Heart of New...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

I think the weeks you've chosen will probably be good - I definitely would NOT move your trip a week later in the season at all. I live in Northern Vermont and am aware of a lovely self-catering cottage rental places. They are located in Montgomery Center and very close to Jay Peak, Montreal (1.5hrs), Stowe, and the rest of the Northeast Kingdom. There are other lovely accommodations in the area as well...I think our town (Montgomery) is amazing. A wonderful small town, quirky, fun and welcoming and a terrific base to see more of the state and Quebec from...we are also blessed with wonderful local restaurants.... and scenery, scenery, scenery....

Edited: 29 August 2010, 16:35
Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

Afternoon Achillea 1,

Sorry to disagree with Wandering007 but I do agree with Sign... and Chris and Liz, that moving your trip back a week would be ideal. If you wish to see the whole State then the dates you currently propose will probably afford you many vistas of green trees in the south of the State! I think a week around Stowe and a week around Woodstock/Manchester VT would be ideal with the first week being in the north. The St Johnsbury and the North East kingdom area often gets over looked by travellers and it is really spectacular if somewhat remote.

As to self catering the Vermont Vacation website (www.vermontvacation.com) offers properties all manner of rental options as well as good advice of what there is to do in the State.

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

Thanks for the advice everyone. We are totally flexible on dates so far. Looks like the first 2 weeks of October is the general consensus. I like the idea of staying outside of Stowe for the first week then maybe somewhere a bit further south than Woodstock for the second? (somewhere ideal for the Green Forest and maybe a forray into the Berkshires).

We are foodies so like picking up fresh food in markets, wineries etc. I like being not too far from facilities such as shops & restaurants but without staying in a town (much prefer a pretty quiet setting with a great view). I also love architecture, particulary clapboard houses, little churches and covered bridges.

I'm getting so exciting about all of this and as I do more research feel its the place I should have been born in - oh to be able to emigrate!

cheers

A

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

Arlington ,VT may make sense for the 2nd week. It is in Southwestern VT, allowing forays in to the Berkshires, and is about 10 minutes from Manchester, Vt, with all its amenities and restaurants.

There are several well rated B&B's -see Vermont Hotels tab to the left, open it, then find "Arlington Hotels" once this is opened, you will see a tab at center top of page for "B&B's".

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

To add to my earlier post, since you are looking for something quiet, I would suggest a B&B-Inn not on Route 7A. 7A is the main road through Arlington. You can also find B&B-Inns for Arlington, just by using the search box in the upper left corner of this page

8. Re: Help with fall 2011 trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:16