We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

I've spent tons of time on this, but still haven't really narrowed down even a loose itinerary, so any help would be very much appreciated.

We have about 2 weeks for this holiday. We plan on spending the first 2 or 3 nights around Lake Placid, and then heading into Vermont for the rest of our time. We may spend our last night somewhere in New York state as well, on our way home. I'm not booking anything ahead of time. We'll just kind of go where ever we go. I'm thinking about taking the ferry between Charlotte and Essex, just for the experience.

We are planning to camp as much as possible. If the weather cooperates it'll be every night. Need to keep this vacation as cheap as possible.

We'd like to do some hiking, as well as some biking (not serious mountain biking though, but preferably not on roads much). We also like exploring new towns and places.

Right now I'm thinking a few nights near Burlington or Stowe. Perhaps Smugglers Notch or Underhill state parks. We'll do some hiking in the area, ride the bike paths in Stowe and Burlington.

I was thinking about Mount Ascutney State Park for another couple of nights too. There are lots of nice looking parks. We prefer quiet and secluded campsites, but don't want to have to hike our gear in very far, if at all.

Other things of interest I'm thinking of fitting in are: Ben and Jerry's factory tour; Dog Mountain if we're in the area; King Arthur Flour Bakery and Cafe (odd choice, but if we're near there we'll likely go); Billing's Farm and Museum; checking out the town of Woodstock.

I realize this post is very disjointed, and I apologize for that. It just seems to be the way the planning is going for this trip.

And.. we leave September 6 so will likely arrive in Vermont around the 9th.

ktown

Edited: 30 August 2010, 22:41
Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

There is a campground in Burlington opertated by the City of Burlington' s Parks and Recreation Department at North Beach, north of the downtown area. It is right on the Bike path. After Labor Day it probably is not too busy. Inquire within to verify this thought.

Woodstock could be en route to Mt Ascutney from the Stowe area, although perhaps not the most direct route.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
985 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

King Arthur Flour is about 25-30 minutes from Woodstock, but even a little more out of your way to Mt. Ascutney.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Thanks! I didn't know about that campground in Burlington. I'll check it out.

I am not tied to going to Mt. Ascutney, it's just one of my many options. Maybe we can look at finding somewhere closer to Woodstock for a night or two.

ktown

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,652 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Evening Ktowntravllr,

Why the reluctance to book anything????? You should find a choice of accommodation in Woodstock (see www.woodstockvt.com) but I simply don't get your 'no booking' style? Plainly you research cos' you've posted on the forums.....

Edited: 31 August 2010, 02:02
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Davidbignose! - I normally book all of our accommodation before leaving on a trip, but since we are tent camping and it isn't the high season, it appears we should have no problem getting a campsite. I've looked at the reservations for various state parks, and there are lots of sites still available for every park I've checked for the dates that we may want to camp there. The only other time I've not booked ahead was a trip out west a couple of years ago - it meant I couldn't get a site where we planned, but we ended up camping somewhere which ended up being one of our favourite places.

I'm just thinking that someone with experience/knowledge of Vermont may make a suggestion or have a thought that would be helpful. Often the smallest little nuggets can end up being a highlight.

I'm open to suggestions. I'm also gathering some information about hostels, in case we are so inclined. Hostel Tevere looks interesting.

ktown

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Tenting in Underhill State Park is very convenient to hiking. The park itself is a few miles from town and other services, but peaceful and has direct access to excellent hiking and biking. There are several general stores in Underhill Center a few miles away that have all the staples and good meat to grill.

There are some superb dirt roads for biking nearby. My fav is a paved/dirt loop from the Underhill Country Store on Pleasant Valley Rd. east to Sand Hill Rd, to New Road, back to Pleasant Valley. About a 1.5 hour loop.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Thanks.

I think we'll go with Underhill State Park for at least a couple of nights. I see that it's really not far from Smuggler's Notch or Stowe, so we'll probably just drive over that way to hike/ride/explore, unless there's a reason we should move camp over the Smuggler's Notch State Park after Underhill.

ktown

8. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 13:37
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

Thanks. Looking forward to Underhill State Park. We may try to get one of the lean-to's if there are any left when we get there. If not we'll be happy on a regular site too.

ktown

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
7,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm working on an itinerary - feedback more than welcome

The Underhill Country Store a few miles away has (had at least) nice meats and other foods/beverages.

If you want less traveled trails, hike all the way up the CCC road from the park (maybe 2 miles?), then head up the Maple Ridge trail to the forehead. Much less crowded than Sunset Ridge directly from the park, and similar stunning views. A couple of easy-moderate extra miles to get there of course, but a nice option.