We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

I have been researching a trip to Vermont to celebrate making it for 20 years of marriage! I'm overwhelmed by the choices and would really appreciate some guidance.

We would plan to spend 3 full days in Vermont, with rental car.

We are active people and I don't particularly want to mostly spend the day in the car looking at great scenery. At the same time my wife loves antiquing and soaking up the atmosphere, so we should get to savor the village atmosphere some places.

I don't mind driving though, but wonder: "what is there to do, other than look around and enjoy the views from the car with occasional stops at a cute antique place, tea shop, whatever?".

Is it possible to rent bikes? To take a sailing dingy out on Lake Champlain? Other fun stuff?

Are there any local events worth planning for (I heard of an Oktoberfest with local beer)?

We are not looking for luxury resorts or to blow a lot of money, but I would envisage a night in a great B&B somewhere to get the full VT experience.

I also hear it is possible to stay at some farms?

Friends recommended the Basin Harbor Club in Vergennes then go back up to the highway (89south) and go to Stowe.

Should we spend time in Burlington?

I also drew a route from Lebanon area to St Johnsbury area and back over to Waterbury/Morrisville. Any good?

Should I go over to NH White Mountain Natl Forest?

I would love some accommodation recommendations as well as location answers from the experts out there.

I know these are many questions and we will need to make choices and compromises, given we will have 3 days or so. Your advice, opinions, recommendations and guidance will help me do that.

Mount Tom
Mountains, Forests
Camel's Hump
Mountains, State Parks
Bromley Mountain
Ski & Snowboard Areas, Mountains
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,373 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

When exactly are you planning on coming? If it's over a weekend you may not have much choice when it comes to lodging. Many places book up months in advance. If you are coming mid-week you should have more choices.

If you are coming at the beginning of October I would not recommend Basin Harbor. The area right around Lake Champlain has later foliage-usually mid-October.

I would suggest you concentrate on the other areas you mention. The Route 100 corridor between Stowe and Killington would be my suggestion.

Chester, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Chester, Ludlow, Vermont
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

have you looked at www.vermontvacation.com

very helpful and comprehensive.......I do not live in the northern part of the state which is where you seem to be focused, but this site will help tremendously.....book NOW....most places are near full already!

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

Evening Daddad,

I do hope you are planning for 2011...cos' after 20 years of marriage you've left it very late to book accommodation for this year...and I'm sure you'd like to make your 25th anniversary intact!

You should pass though Woodstock even if you don;t stay...and I'd leave the White Mountains for another trip. Vter offers sound advice......

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

Thank you all for your feedback and good advice. I also contacted and spoke with a few of the chambers of commerce and am all set. Stowe it is, vter. Great suggestions and input and thanks for the web site reference Innvic.

Davidbignose! (onophile?), you crack me up. I wont bore you with the circumstances.

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

Good call re: staying in Stowe. Nice mountain resort town. Great things to do like the scenic rec path, the drive up Rt. 108 thru Smuggler's Notch, and the toll road up Mt. Mansfield. There are many excellent hikes within a few miles for all abilities. Let us know if you want specifics.

Totally agree re: leaving the white mtns for another trip. 3 days is a good amount of time to see the locale around Stowe, without spending a day driving to/from the white mtns.

6. Re: Foliage Wedding Anniv. trip planning, early October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 05:17