We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern New England in November trip

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Northern New England in November trip

Hello,

My hubby and I are planning to visit Maine, NH and VT just after Thanksgiving through Dec. 7th. Can anyone recommend things to do, places to stay, visit,etc? We've never skied and I want to try.

Both are foodies, like history, etc. This is a new adventure for us, so I would appreciate your help. We're flying into Portland, renting a car and also want to see places for relocation/retirement.

Thanks!

Mayellin

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Burlington and Stowe are 2 favs in northern VT. Both easily accessible from I-89 or Rt. 2. Burlington is the food and music capital of VT. Stowe and a handful of other towns within an hour's drive have skiing - though November is iffy and very weather-dependent. Killington ski area is routinely the earliest to open with their tremendous snowmaking & grooming capabilities. It's a big resort though and not my fav.

Woodstock, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Woodstock
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Evening Mayellin,

Killington is as has been mentioned a great ski location and makes snow in buckets if nature is slow in delivering it. If you wish to stay in a more diverse and historic setting then Woodstock is less than 30 minutes drive from Killington and will provide some of the restaurants you seek, as well as bundles of history. Check out www.woodstockvt.com the village website. The other advantage about this part of the State is that it is very accessable and would take about 2.5 - 3 hours from Portland via the Seacoast route and I93/I89.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Thanks for your suggestions. Stowe, Woodstock and Burlington sound like good bets. I'll visit the websites for more info. The iffiness(is that a word?) of the weather sounds like I'd be happier hiking then skiing. You all have been so helpful.

Mayellin

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont, Ormond Beach
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern New England in November trip

Good call. Hiking is great year-round. There are plenty of trails for all abilities and time budgets. Just let us know what kind of hike you're interested in, and in what locale.

5. Re: Northern New England in November trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2011, 05:18